Cacti at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Download

Cacti at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens

Post by Download »

I apologise if this is the wrong place for these photos. I couldn't see a general picture subforum.

I visited the Adelaide Botanic Garden about 6 weeks ago and took a few good photos. I suspect this isn't impressive to the old hands on this forum, but there aren't many huge cacti in Australia (ignoring opuntia that is) so I thought it was very neat.

F wislizeni. This is actually my desktop background at the moment.

Not sure what this is. Echinopsis chiloensis perhaps?

Weird 3-sided opuntia paddle.

Very odd flowers. Mine will hopefully bit this big in a few years though!

leland

Re: Cacti at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens

Post by leland »

Botanic gardens are a great place to see cacti. Older gardens, like Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, AZ, often have mature plants that are hard to see elsewhere. Anytime I travel I get online to see where the nearest gardens are.

There is probably tremendous opportunity for individuals and cactus clubs to team up and do volunteer work if they are near a botanical garden.

Another possibility is private gardens. Locally we have a restaurant owner who is a cactus enthusiast who put in a garden at his restaurant. The next time I pass through Las Vegas I.m going to try to go to the Ethel M Chocolate factory in Henderson. I believe it is closed because of the pandemic, but their desert landscaping garden is excellent.

Also, public gardens are a good place to practice your camera skills. Most won't allow tripods or props, but plain photography is usually welcome.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

Real nice pics, Download! Keep 'em coming!

leland - from Ethel M Chocolate factory and Cactus garden - "Our cactus garden is open! Reservations are not required to visit, but capacity restrictions are in place. Face Masks must be worn at all times and proper social distancing observed."

So it is open with COVID protocols active. Teaser video link:

https://www.ethelm.com/botanical-cactus-garden
Bluey69

Post by Bluey69 »

Driving down to Adelaide next week from Darwin.Will try and visit the botanical gardens while there .
My Father has a cactus garden in his front yard ,the golden barrel he has is massive.Hopefully I will be able to expand my collection while there as well.