Cactus Callus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
mickster4

Cactus Callus

Post by mickster4 »

I have an Oreocereus trollii (old man of the Andes) that had some root rot. I cut off the rotten part and put cinnamon on the cut to prevent fungus. Waiting for it to callous to replant it. This is a week so far. My question is, does this look normal? It looks like it is sucking in the cut part if that makes sense. How long should I wait yet? I got some root starter also to put on before I replant. Thanks!
Attachments
cactus.jpg
cactus.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
cactushobbyman

Re: Cactus Callus

Post by cactushobbyman »

Normal, next time taper the cut end.
mickster4

Post by mickster4 »

cactushobbyman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:43 pm Normal, next time taper the cut end.
Will this cut hurt anything? How long should I wait yet to replant?
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Yes, it's normal. The cut part will dehydrate and shrink a lot more than the epidermis.
I wouldn't be in any hurry with a big cut area like that, another week or two at least.
They often start to put our roots when they are ready, even if they haven't been replanted.
If this happens, with lumps and mini roots starting to grow through the callous, they tend to root very quickly if placed in damp perlite (etc) in warm conditions.
Replanting too soon is more likely to cause rot problems than waiting a month or more, imho.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
mickster4

Post by mickster4 »

esp_imaging wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:06 pm Yes, it's normal. The cut part will dehydrate and shrink a lot more than the epidermis.
I wouldn't be in any hurry with a big cut area like that, another week or two at least.
They often start to put our roots when they are ready, even if they haven't been replanted.
If this happens, with lumps and mini roots starting to grow through the callous, they tend to root very quickly if placed in damp perlite (etc) in warm conditions.
Replanting too soon is more likely to cause rot problems than waiting a month or more, imho.
When i replant it, how deep should I bury it so it will be stable? And when should I water it?
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

mickster4 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:46 pm
esp_imaging wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:06 pm Yes, it's normal. The cut part will dehydrate and shrink a lot more than the epidermis.
When i replant it, how deep should I bury it so it will be stable? And when should I water it?
I don't really bury cuttings, I place the end on or in the substrate (perlite with fired clay granules works well for me).
For tall cuttings I would 1/4 fill a plant pot with substrate and stand the cutting in the plant pot. Some rocks in with the substrate can help for stability. For small, long thin cuttings I use plastic catering cups etc. These methods are really helpful for keeping a cutting upright, and also making it hard to knock them over, for them to blow over, and to prevent catching the spines until they are established.
Use very small amounts of water until they are actually starting to root. When they are ready, they generally root very quickly in an open, very porous substrate if it's kept slightly damp and in warm conditions.
Last edited by esp_imaging on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

This link shows a step by step method which I've used on cuttings and salvage operations. Medium coarse sand is what I put as a top layer for the cutting to rest on with solid contact. The string around the pot and plant helped anchor the cutting and ensure that plant to sand contact. It worked! Took some time.
https://sclerocactus-aventures.com/hist ... cinertige/