Thelocephala aerocarpa

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
From0to10in2weeks

Thelocephala aerocarpa

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

Hi, in my first attempt to growing from seed I planted 16 pots with 15 different species. All germinated with only a couple with poor yields. The pot with Thelocephala aerocarpa had 3 of 10 seeds germinate 9 days after sowing and they made it to the pinhead stage (1 - 2 mm, no spines). Two died though quickly and the remaining one doesn't look too happy (6 weeks after sowing).

Does Thelocephala aerocarpa have any unique requirements growing from seed? The entry on Llife describes it as preferring a very dry environment. After the first two seedlings died I misted that pot less than the others but it is still in the same grow house.

Thanks. Best.
Fatich

Re: Thelocephala aerocarpa

Post by Fatich »

Most of the Eriosyce species dont need any special requirements. I growed many Thelocephala species from seeds and i just care them just like the most of cactus species.
Possible to post photos of the pots and seedlings?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

From some reason Thelocephala don't grow well for me. I only tried them from seed. I can grow a lot of stuff, but these seem to say farewell to me within the year (or two) or so. I also treat them like any other cacti. I get the idea I should not...
From0to10in2weeks

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

The last one appears to have died as well. RIP.
eulaspiegel

Post by eulaspiegel »

I have exactly the same issue, the vast majority of my other seedlings are growing well, but the T. aerocarpa batch seem to have stalled and look like they are slowly dying...
Growing mostly under LED lights, in northern latitudes. Especially interested in stem succulents and caudiciforms. Dreaming of my first greenhouse.