i got a new haworthia, yay!

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
softestpants

i got a new haworthia, yay!

Post by softestpants »

a while ago i posted about me accidentally killing a haworthia cooperi while opening a package. a few hours ago we went to the garden to buy soil and a couple of plants and while walking around, lo and behold! a haworthia! it looks like a cymbiformis to me but it could also be a cooperi variety. there were others that was a little and had a few pups but i took the one thats a little lose in her soil and had no pups. again, im sorry i couldnt provide photos but to me it looks etiolated. i live in a tropical country and over here its already summer and boy oh boy everyone can feel it. my main question tho, can i unpot, wash, air dry, and repot her during summer? i've read that its not a good idea to repot dormant plants but theres a portion of the house that has good air circulation and is most of the time pretty mild temperature if youd ask me, but the place has full shade but moderate light. should i not repot and if i do, should i place her there for a few days or weeks just to get her settled to her new environment? what should i do after those few days or weeks pass? place her in a brighter area? any answers and tips are greatly appreciated, thank you! :D
softestpants

Re: i got a new haworthia, yay!

Post by softestpants »

i forgot to add in, is it okay if i pot her in a mix thats 70/30 pumice and vermicast or 50/40/10 pumice, river sand, and vermicast?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

30% vermicast would be too much. The second mix would be okay if you sieve out the fines from the sand and just use the coarser stuff.
Spence :mrgreen:
softestpants

Post by softestpants »

greenknight wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:38 am 30% vermicast would be too much. The second mix would be okay if you sieve out the fines from the sand and just use the coarser stuff.
i potted her earlier and it looks like my gut was right about telling me to add more pumice! thank you so much for answering :mrgreen:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Now is when it gets tricky. The key is how hot it is at night, lows around 70f / 20c or more will likely trigger heat dormancy. Haworthias can live off their thick storage roots for quite a while, but they may just absorb everything in those roots and produce a new set when growth resumes. You need to watch for that, if it casts off it's roots don't water it until it begins to grow new ones as cooler weather arrives. It's not hard to tell when the roots are gone - give a gentle tug on it and it will come right out.

I'd say give it a week for the roots to heal, then water - if it still has roots. Don't water again until it's dried out. I often let mine go until the leaves start to shrink, doesn't hurt them a bit.
Spence :mrgreen: