Hello from England

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
BlueTinge

Hello from England

Post by BlueTinge »

Hiya, new here. Got some experince in gardening but have been interested in cacti recently. Glad to be on here & hope to stay here!
gemhunter178

Re: Hello from England

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello from El Paso, Texas,

I too welcome you to the CactiGuide forum and hope, that you will be able to benefit from being a member here.

Harald
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

BlueTinge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:27 am Hiya, new here. Got some experince in gardening but have been interested in cacti recently. Glad to be on here & hope to stay here!
Welcome. There is also the BCSS forum (forum.bcss.org.uk) which might also be of interest to you as you are from England.
BlueTinge

Post by BlueTinge »

Aiko wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:37 pm
BlueTinge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:27 am Hiya, new here. Got some experince in gardening but have been interested in cacti recently. Glad to be on here & hope to stay here!
Welcome. There is also the BCSS forum (forum.bcss.org.uk) which might also be of interest to you as you are from England.
Wow... Thank you, I had no idea that existed, never came up on my google searches.
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

Ey up from Manchester.

Just cacti or some proper succulents as well?
BlueTinge wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:40 am Wow... Thank you, I had no idea that existed, never came up on my google searches.
Well, that is annoying. It has been going for 89 years (the society, not the forum). Though I only put a Wikipedia article up for the society at the end of January. New website arriving any moment now. The seed lists are a great reason for joining. Lots of rarities for a few pennies. Membership is very good value at £15 and the CactusWorld and Bradleya magazines are impressively professional.

Zoom talks every Tuesday at the moment, non-members welcome. No chatting during the talk, please. Usually 500+ audience.
https://us13.campaign-archive.com/?u=6e ... 9bb1682d3b
BlueTinge

Post by BlueTinge »

One Windowsill wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:43 pm Ey up from Manchester.

Just cacti or some proper succulents as well?
BlueTinge wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:40 am Wow... Thank you, I had no idea that existed, never came up on my google searches.
Well, that is annoying. It has been going for 89 years (the society, not the forum). Though I only put a Wikipedia article up for the society at the end of January. New website arriving any moment now. The seed lists are a great reason for joining. Lots of rarities for a few pennies. Membership is very good value at £15 and the CactusWorld and Bradleya magazines are impressively professional.

Zoom talks every Tuesday at the moment, non-members welcome. No chatting during the talk, please. Usually 500+ audience.
https://us13.campaign-archive.com/?u=6e ... 9bb1682d3b
Cacti for now, what a shame like I said no idea the forum was about at all & I've looked a few times... Anyways glad I know now, I'll take a look thank you :D
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Welcome from Nottingham UK. I have been a member of the British Society for 60 years.

The "British Cactus & Succulent Society" was an eventual merger of two former societies. The oldest was the "Cactus & Succulent Society of Great Britain" which stopped publication for the war and was late starting up again afterwards. Fed up with waiting some enthusiasts in Yorkshire started up their own society "The Yorkshire Cactus Society" which within a year became the more vigorous "National Cactus and Succulent Society" which spread much quicker through having countrywide branches, whereas the CSSGB was mainly London based. Later the CSSGB restarted but had then lost premier place to the more vigorous NCSS by then.

CSJB1.jpg
CSJB1.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
NCSS1.jpg
NCSS1.jpg (78.42 KiB) Viewed 3702 times