How to encourage root growth?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
EliWhitney3140

How to encourage root growth?

Post by EliWhitney3140 »

When you make cuttings what do you find encourages the most root growth? I was told to put cuttings in a dark warm area and it seemed to do the trick, I am not sure if that is the case with all cacti though. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
7george

Re: How to encourage root growth?

Post by 7george »

Put in warm but not dark, just in shade or obscured sunlight. Cuttings have to feel the moisture in the substrate below. It may take several months or more.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
BlueTinge

Post by BlueTinge »

7george wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:45 am Put in warm but not dark, just in shade or obscured sunlight. Cuttings have to feel the moisture in the substrate below. It may take several months or more.
Once they have rooted in the shade or filtered sunlight where would you put them then obviously you don't want them to etoliate? Obviously in the summer they would go straight outside or slowly acclimitise them to going outside but what happens during the winter would you either put them in the dark till winter is over or slowly acclimitise them to a grow light indoors?
7george

Post by 7george »

BlueTinge wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:44 pm
7george wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:45 am Put in warm but not dark, just in shade or obscured sunlight. Cuttings have to feel the moisture in the substrate below. It may take several months or more.
Once they have rooted in the shade or filtered sunlight where would you put them then obviously you don't want them to etoliate? Obviously in the summer they would go straight outside or slowly acclimitise them to going outside but what happens during the winter would you either put them in the dark till winter is over or slowly acclimitise them to a grow light indoors?
I have no much growing experience with grow lights but these definitely will not burn newly rooted plants so go ahead any way. You can also put together (rooted or not) you cuttings with other plants of the collection getting some or any natural light and if you do not water them presence of roots doesn't make any difference. Sometimes mature cuttings even bloom.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Alternating between bone dry and moist seems to help stimulate new roots.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

This may not be of interest here, since the majority of cacti wouldn’t be rooted in water but I found it interesting so I dare posting it nonetheless. I read a post somewere, were someone asked for advice rooting a Monstera cutting. Adding a Tradescantia cutting or more in the same jar as the plant one wished to root, would improve the chances and speed up the rooting process on the other cutting . Anyone who have heard of this or have tried it? I wonder if the Tradescantia cutting gives off some chemical ‘message ‘ to the other cutting and thereby speeding the process?
If so one could be tempted to belive this could be transferred to rooting in soil too?
Download

Post by Download »

Rooting hormone helps.
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

Download wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:05 pm Rooting hormone helps.
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=45564
Download

Post by Download »

One Windowsill wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Or just buy some... it's not exactly expensive.
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

Download wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:15 am
One Windowsill wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Or just buy some... it's not exactly expensive.
You'll never find any of that quality though. Manufactured the same day as you use it. Partially glucuronidated for better absorption by the plant.

No plastic packaging. No wasted gels or powders.
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

I'm very interested in this topic because I produce plants for sale. Rooting in some species can take months, and that is just wasted time in terms of production. I know that temperature plays a big part, and lower temps definitely slow this process.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Carbo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:30 pm I'm very interested in this topic because I produce plants for sale. Rooting in some species can take months, and that is just wasted time in terms of production. I know that temperature plays a big part, and lower temps definitely slow this process.
Carbo, where are you located? You have not put that information up on your profile so it shows up on your posts.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:44 am Carbo, where are you located? You have not put that information up on your profile so it shows up on your posts.
I think it should be visible now.
I'm a little bit far from US, but cactus growers come from all corners of the world :)
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Carbo wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:13 am
jerrytheplater wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:44 am Carbo, where are you located? You have not put that information up on your profile so it shows up on your posts.
I think it should be visible now.
I'm a little bit far from US, but cactus growers come from all corners of the world :)
Ha Ha
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.