Grafting Haworthia

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
vitt13

Grafting Haworthia

Post by vitt13 »

Found the interesting thread but cannot understand what was the rootstock. Was it Aloe?
Source http://www.lequyuanyi.com/article-6420.htm

greenknight

Re: Grafting Haworthia

Post by greenknight »

Looks like Aloe root stock, yes. They're fairly close relatives.
Spence :mrgreen:
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Wait, I thought monocots can not be grafted, how is this possible?
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

I didn't find his any further post that could prove the possibility. Only those photos from first link.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The problem with grafting monocots is they don't have a definite vascular ring, the vascular bundles are randomly distributed. I found a reference from 1899 to experiments which proved grafting was possible, but I suspect the success rate would be very low, since it would rely on randomly getting enough vascular bundles to align to provide adequate sap flow. I note that in the pictures above, there's just one that appears to be a successful, healed graft.
Spence :mrgreen:
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

greenknight wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:30 am The problem with grafting monocots is they don't have a definite vascular ring, the vascular bundles are randomly distributed. I found a reference from 1899 to experiments which proved grafting was possible, but I suspect the success rate would be very low, since it would rely on randomly getting enough vascular bundles to align to provide adequate sap flow. I note that in the pictures above, there's just one that appears to be a successful, healed graft.
I never knew it was possible at all. I know that there are monocots such as certain species of aloe that are capable of secondary growth, this is termed "Abnormal secondary growth" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary ... ary_growth,
perhaps these plants are more suitable for grafting.