Issue with rooting opuntia 3rd lucky

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Hero878

Issue with rooting opuntia 3rd lucky

Post by Hero878 »

Each time I try to root this opuntia robusta pad it decides to rot.
I have cut it back for the second time and hoping third time lucky!
Each time I did let it air dry for 2-3 weeks and then potted it up in dry soil before giving it some water a week later. Perhaps I need to leave it for even longer.

I decided to cut it back at an angle this time instead of straight in order to prevent the edges from forming a gap for dirt to gather.

Image Image
samhain

Re: Issue with rooting opuntia 3rd lucky

Post by samhain »

I don’t water until they root, roots are what take up water. You also don’t have to plant the cut, keep it out in the open, it will kick off normal growth.
15F-110F. 14” annual rainfall. 8b. 3000’
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

samhain wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:09 pm I don’t water until they root, roots are what take up water. You also don’t have to plant the cut, keep it out in the open, it will kick off normal growth.
Hey thanks. I'll just leave it out laying flat then and not plant it this time. See what happens :)
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

Mine sometimes seem slow to 'activate' rooting mode. Then....boom!...little stubby fingers star digging in. I recently got a pad of Opuntia erinacea and just pressed it into a pot of builders sand. In a couple of weeks I checked it...nothing...couple of weeks later nubbies. Now dug in good into the sand. I sprayed mist on it after three weeks. My personal thoughts are good contact seems to be paramount. Then let it be. It will happen...or ...not.

Oh and the pad was damaged on the end and slightly curved. I leaned it on a rock into the sand.
samhain

Post by samhain »

I’ve planted opuntia pads upside down also.
15F-110F. 14” annual rainfall. 8b. 3000’
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Thanks for the additional tips and insight. I have some opuntia humifusa pads too hopefully these will root well. I'll just be patient and give them time :)