Degrafting Astrophytum

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Conophytum

Degrafting Astrophytum

Post by Conophytum »

Hi, what is the best way to degraft a Astrophytum? I purchased some Super Kabutos and would like to know the best way to degraft it from dragonfruit/
mesembs are cool
Carbo

Re: Degrafting Astrophytum

Post by Carbo »

Why do you want to degraft? I'd let it grow on hylo for as long as the stock is functional. To answer your question, the way I like to do it is just brake it off by twisting it off the stock, than put some rooting powder on the scion immediately. I than place it in a semi-shaded dry spot until I see roots growing, then pot it up.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

Conophytum wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 am Hi, what is the best way to degraft a Astrophytum? I purchased some Super Kabutos and would like to know the best way to degraft it from dragonfruit/
Check Hanazono's posts on degrafting, his system and rate of success is outstanding.
Alejandro
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I purchased some Super Kabutos and would like to know the best way to degraft it from dragonfruit/
The degrafting of a super kabuto from a Hylocereus stock has several issues.
The height of super kabuto is quite low and the grafted union is inner body of super kabuto which is a disadvantade of Hylocereus stock.

There are two ways of degrafting but the size of scion is critical for the rooting.
The super kabuto should be more than 3 cm in diameter for the normal degrafting/rooting.
Please let me know the size of scion/super kabuto.