Repotting an aloe vera after pruning?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
MaryMullen

Repotting an aloe vera after pruning?

Post by MaryMullen »

Should I wait for a recently-pruned aloe vera to callus over before repotting, if it is currently ready for repotting?

I have a new aloe vera plant I got from a local nursery a few days ago. Today I was planning to repot it, as it desperately needs a bigger pot. However, I found teeth marks on it this morning from my cat, who, since I normally just have cacti, has never tried to chew my plants before. I guess the lack of significant spines made the Aloe Vera more exciting than her cat grass. (Cat is fine btw, she didn't eat any, so she's just getting watched for tummy troubles)

I quickly pruned off the parts that had been chewed on, luckily they were just two of the tips. However, since now I've put the plant through a bit of trauma, I'm wondering if I should hold off repotting the plant until it's had a chance to callus over. It really needs repotting, I can't stress that enough. Not only are its roots at least 3 inches out the bottom, but it has a few wisps of new roots trying to poke out the top of the soil. This plant outgrew its pot a long time ago. But since I want to give this plant its best chance at thriving in its new pot, I don't want to put it through the trauma of repotting if it's going to affect how quickly it will heal from pruning.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions?
One Windowsill

Re: Repotting an aloe vera after pruning?

Post by One Windowsill »

I would say there would be no problem at all. I have seriously battered Aloe vera by separating them clumsily from a congested clump. Pruned leaves and damaged roots did not slow them down at all when repotted.
MaryMullen

Post by MaryMullen »

One Windowsill wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:04 pm I would say there would be no problem at all. I have seriously battered Aloe vera by separating them clumsily from a congested clump. Pruned leaves and damaged roots did not slow them down at all when repotted.
Good to know, thank you! This is my first Aloe, so I wasn't quite sure how sensitive it would be to this kind of thing. Thanks!
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

They have been cultivated for at least 1,500 years and possibly 2,000 years. They have probably been selected for easy cultivation.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

One Windowsill wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:17 pm They have been cultivated for at least 1,500 years and possibly 2,000 years. They have probably been selected for easy cultivation.
In the wild they have survived thousands of years of being attacked by disease, insects and other things trying to eat them. So long as your general cultivation is OK, minor physical damage shouldn't cause more than small cosmetic problems.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti