To Antisepp

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Mrs.Green

To Antisepp

Post by Mrs.Green »

These pics are ment for Antisepp. I belived adding pics in a PM was done the same way as posting in a tread. After writing a long PM I discovered that this wasn’t possible.. :( I hope it’s OK as a one off , to post the pics here? I will delete the post when Antisepp have seen it.
Attachments
C7B354ED-FDA2-42F0-9A41-8BFABF45DA43.jpeg
C7B354ED-FDA2-42F0-9A41-8BFABF45DA43.jpeg (141.39 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
1D9C29DF-134E-4D56-A473-9446E722DAEF.jpeg
1D9C29DF-134E-4D56-A473-9446E722DAEF.jpeg (186.07 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
anttisepp

Re: To Antisepp

Post by anttisepp »

It's amazimg Hamatocacatus setispinus, very easy and thankful species. :)
Growing from seeds isn't difficult, it grows fast enough. I had them in my very first seeding.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

No I also found that I could not attach images to a PM. Therefore I just PM them to email me back if they want giving them my email address and I can then add a picture or scan to a return email. This method can be useful if somebody is after a scan of an article that is not of general interest on the Forum.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Antisepp; Thank you very much! 🙂 I do hope the remaining cactus survive! Looking it up , its seems to have beautiful flowers. Long story short; I got the cactus for free, since all it’s ‘siblings’ were dead. I couldn’t identify it and since I was afraid to upset the forum members with to many ID requests, I asked Antisepp directly.

DaveW; Ah, I thought I was to dumb to understand how to attach photos to a PM, reassuring to learn that even the brighter members have problems with it! ☺️
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Hello, agreed the flowers are permanently, very nice and with pleasant fragrance.
I'd want to warn according to soil in pot: there're already 4 rotten cacti and probably much infection. I'd take palnt away from the pot, wash the old soil and plant again in new cacti soil after 1-2 weeks of drying.
You'll be happy to see many flowers on this cactus this summer.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

anttisepp wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:45 pm Hello, agreed the flowers are permanently, very nice and with pleasant fragrance.
I'd want to warn according to soil in pot: there're already 4 rotten cacti and probably much infection. I'd take palnt away from the pot, wash the old soil and plant again in new cacti soil after 1-2 weeks of drying.
Thank you Antisepp :) No worries, the pic was taken after I got it. I have taken it out of the HUGE pot and rinsed the roots.For some odd reason the cacti have been repotted in really big pot before sale. You could clearly see the difference between the much smaller pot it was grown in and the pot it was sold in. This isn’t the first cactus I hav e purchased that have been repotted in a very large pot before sale.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Mrs.Green wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:16 am
anttisepp wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:45 pm Hello, agreed the flowers are permanently, very nice and with pleasant fragrance.
Thank you Antisepp :) No worries, the pic was taken after I got it. I have taken it out of the HUGE pot and rinsed the roots.For some odd reason the cacti have been repotted in really big pot before sale. You could clearly see the difference between the much smaller pot it was grown in and the pot it was sold in. This isn’t the first cactus I hav e purchased that have been repotted in a very large pot before sale. The remaining fruit on the cactus, how do I know when it’s ripe or rather the seeds are ready for harvesting? Should I wait until the fruit fall off the cactus by itself?
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Mrs.Green wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:19 am <…> The remaining fruit on the cactus, how do I know when it’s ripe or rather the seeds are ready for harvesting? Should I wait until the fruit fall off the cactus by itself?
It's already ripe. Earlier it was green. I often very late in my greenhouse and ants or other guests take the fruits and seeds away. Sometimes mice were uninvited harvesters so I had to get rid of them quickly.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They are really easy to grow from seed, the first cactus seedlings I ever grew. I bought a young one in a 2 1/2 inch pot, and it had a dried-up fruit on it full of seeds. I planted them without any special care, just sprinkled them on a tray of cactus mix and covered it with plastic wrap. Several of them came up, and I took the plastic off. They were doing fine, but a cat knocked them off the windowsill and none survived.

I'd say there's no hurry about harvesting the seeds, unless you have wildlife problems like anttisepp. Let the fruit get really overripe if you can.
Spence :mrgreen:
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

anttisepp wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 am ?
It's already ripe. Earlier it was green. I often very late in my greenhouse and ants or other guests take the fruits and seeds away. Sometimes mice were uninvited harvesters so I had to get rid of them quickly.
[/quote]
greenknight wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:15 am They are really easy to grow from seed, the first cactus seedlings I ever grew. I bought a young one in a 2 1/2 inch pot, and it had a dried-up fruit on it full of seeds. I planted them without any special care, just sprinkled them on a tray of cactus mix and covered it with plastic wrap. Several of them came up, and I took the plastic off. They were doing fine, but a cat knocked them off the windowsill and none survived.

I'd say there's no hurry about harvesting the seeds, unless you have wildlife problems like anttisepp. Let the fruit get really overripe if you can.
Thank you Antisepp and Greenknight :) Since the cactus is indoors, hopefully there will be no problems with hungry mice or ants.

Great, then the fruit can stay on a little longer. Which is good , since its still winter here . I will certainly try sowing the seeds, hoping for success. Having ‘homemade’ cacti would be a new experience for me :)
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

To the moderators; should I delete this post? I know it’s placed in the wrong place but as stated in my first post, it wasn’t originally ment to be on the forum. I don’t wan’t to upset anyone by both asking for to many ID request and placing it in the wrong underforum too. I really do understand there have to be some rules for were and what one posts. But speaking for myself ( and maybee some others too? ) I hesitate before posting anything, afraid I am doing something wrong, that would irritate the more knowledgeable , longtime members.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

They grow easily and fast from seeds.
Overripen fruit sometimes may include already sprouted seedlings.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

No just leave it where it is Mrs Green, its hurting nobody. Hopefully we will soon get some clarification from Daiv on identification posts. The original aim was to get identification posts down in length since a few seemed to be putting their whole collection on at once, something that was really counter productive since people look at such a long list of images for identification and don't bother to identify, therefore look at something else more interesting to them.

Everybody wants their plants identifying, but you will probably get more identification replies if there were say only three species in per post than if you try a dozen or more for identification all at once.

We were all beginners once so obviously want to encourage rather than deter beginners identification requests, just don't overdo it in a single post or posts dozens per week. There is retally no limit on images for other reasons, such as travelogues or collections for others enjoyment.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

No, she didn't bother me. It is pleasure to deal with nice nordic collegue.
Cincerely - Antti - anttisepp
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

DaveW; Thank you , I will leave it then. I don’t think ( or rather hope) I haven’t posted to many ID requests yet but I have registrated that ID requests aren’t that popular by all members.

Antisepp; Thank you very much! You have been very helpful and kind to a mere beginner :)