Mixing multiple astrophytum species in one pot

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
CMallorie

Mixing multiple astrophytum species in one pot

Post by CMallorie »

Hi all,

I have 5 young astrophytum of mixed species, and to save a bit of space and to show them off, I would like to pot them up in one large, shallow terracotta pot.

Would you advise against this for any reason, or have any tips to avoid problems?

Cheers,
C
Steve Johnson

Re: Mixing multiple astrophytum species in one pot

Post by Steve Johnson »

I'd hesitate to answer without knowing the species. What are they?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
CMallorie

Post by CMallorie »

Sorry, could have given more information than this. There are two capricorne, two myriostigma and an ornatumXmyriostigma.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

CMallorie wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:13 pm Sorry, could have given more information than this. There are two capricorne, two myriostigma and an ornatumXmyriostigma.
No worries. Whenever we're trying to grow two or more cactus species in one pot, there are two issues to consider:
  • Are the "bunkmates" compatible in terms of their watering needs and the size of the pot they should go into?
  • Spines -- long, stiff spines poking into the skin of the adjacent plant(s) are asking for trouble, especially as the "bunkmates" get bigger over time.
Theoretically, you should be fine growing the myriostigmas in the same pot because they're spineless. Adding the two capricornes to make it a foursome might be okay because the capricornes' spines are thin and flexible. I came up with an idea for you, and it also relates to the size of the pot you should use -- check out this diagram:
Diagram.jpg
Diagram.jpg (21.48 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
This gives you the margins and spacings for calculating the correct inside diameter of the pot based on the plants' diameters. Note where I have the capricornes and myriostigmas positioned. You might be able to put the ornatum x myriostigma smack-dab in the middle, although its spines could be a problem if they eventually poke the other four Astros. The inside bottom of the pot should be no more than 2 cm. below the tip of the lowest roots. It's important to size pots properly, so make sure that your pot isn't too big for the plants you'll be growing. Speaking of...

The terracotta we get here in the US is low-fired, which means porous clay. According to one of our moderators hailing from the UK (that'll be DaveW), your terracotta pot may be high-fired, so find out if it was sold as frost-proof. If it was, you're set. If not, get a frost-proof terracotta pot, a plastic pot, or a glazed ceramic pot. Why is this important? You'll find the answer here:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=45833

Good news is that all five of your Astros are relatively easy to grow, and their watering needs are the same. Assuming that you have the correct type and size of pot, you'll also need to make sure that your mix is suitable for desert cacti. If you need help with that, go here:

https://www.zone18.bcss.org.uk/

Happy growing!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
CMallorie

Post by CMallorie »

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your detailed and helpful answer! I'll post a picture of the potting once I get round to it!

Cheers,
C