Free cactus seeds

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
keith

Free cactus seeds

Post by keith »

I have free Mammillaria heyderi seeds if anyone wants them. Just pay shipping USA only. Easiest to use paypal or venmo but whatever works.

PM if interested first come first serve these are from my own plants .

Also Rebutia fulviseta, Oreocereus celsianus, Mammillaria grahamii, Mammillaria alibcans, Lithops sp. Echinocereus ridigimuss

Other things I'll sell for or trade like Ariocarpus fissuratus , Astrophytum Coahuliense , Epithelantha micromeris , Turbinicarpus valdezianus , Mammillaria lenta, Sometimes Lopho's.
Last edited by keith on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
keith

Re: Mammillaria heyderi seeds

Post by keith »

More seeds
Aeonium2003

Re: Mammillaria heyderi seeds and more

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Alternatively to using pay pal, I guess you could send an SASE.
keith

Post by keith »

SASE = self addressed secure envelope ? Over sized envelops might work ? Regular sized envelops don't do it. Maybe bubble wrap in a regular envelop would work ? I have had many seeds crushed so I use CD sized bubble mailers that's why its expensive to mail.

Seeds get crushed in the mail using regular envelops they got through sorting machines with these roller things or whatever they use.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Self addressed stamped envelope. Bubble wrap doesn't seem to work. I cut a rectangle out of a piece of corrugated card and put the seed packet there. Then I tape it in. Seems to work so far.
keith

Re: Free cactus seeds

Post by keith »

I also sell small seed grown plants if I have extra. You can see the plants on the grown from seed under the Escobaria minima heading. No heat packs so weather is something to think about.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

keith wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:08 pm I also sell small seed grown plants if I have extra. You can see the plants on the grown from seed under the Escobaria minima heading. No heat packs so weather is something to think about.
I just looked at the Escobaria thread and saw some seedlings, but not sure what, if any, are available right now. What do you have? What are you charging? etc., etc.

I have some Frailea parviflora seeds from plants I bought last year from Miles2Go if you are interested in them. Just harvested them yesterday. I have new flower buds in the crowns, but seed is not ready yet.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
nes

Post by nes »

Thanks for the seeds, soon the temp gets back in the 80's these guys are going in the chamber.
seedsk2242022.jpg
seedsk2242022.jpg (116.25 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
keith

Post by keith »

Sounds good I already started some seeds on a heat mat. A few have sprouted :D indoors for now.

Astrophytum asterias x Coahuliense rot easy as new sprouts so being very careful. Plus other stuff but nothing yet > Ferocactus and various other Mexican species.
nes

Post by nes »

Interesting, I started some asterias during the heat wave, so far 3 seedlings have sprouted. They're all outside, so I wonder if they're going to react negatively to the 40 degree nights.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

nes wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:48 am Interesting, I started some asterias during the heat wave, so far 3 seedlings have sprouted. They're all outside, so I wonder if they're going to react negatively to the 40 degree nights.
They will grow fine perhaps a bit slower only. With days over 60F Astrophytum will grow fine ime
nes

Post by nes »

LateBloomer wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:17 pm
nes wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:48 am Interesting, I started some asterias during the heat wave, so far 3 seedlings have sprouted. They're all outside, so I wonder if they're going to react negatively to the 40 degree nights.
They will grow fine perhaps a bit slower only. With days over 60F Astrophytum will grow fine ime
8 sprouted seedlings, out of about 12. Barely above 60 degree days last week. I'm genuinely surprised, I was afraid to sow my caput medusae seeds fearing that it wouldn't be warm enough yet, but I'm thinking I should just start them regardless now.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

nes wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:37 am
8 sprouted seedlings, out of about 12. Barely above 60 degree days last week. I'm genuinely surprised, I was afraid to sow my caput medusae seeds fearing that it wouldn't be warm enough yet, but I'm thinking I should just start them regardless now.
I’d consider waiting on sowing rare/expensive seeds if conditions are not optimal… I’ve sown bulk mammillaria seeds here in peak summer however since I’ll be traveling a month I held off sowing bertholdii and other rare seeds. Temps are optimal however I won’t be able to remove mold or other possible issues so decided to wait.

I mass sowed in winter my seeds 7 months ago but I’m sure if I waited a couple of months I would have had better germination rates… Astrophytum had very high germination regardless but ariocarpus and lophophora aroun 40-50%… maybe old seeds
nes

Post by nes »

LateBloomer wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:35 pm

I’d consider waiting on sowing rare/expensive seeds if conditions are not optimal… I’ve sown bulk mammillaria seeds here in peak summer however since I’ll be traveling a month I held off sowing bertholdii and other rare seeds. Temps are optimal however I won’t be able to remove mold or other possible issues so decided to wait.

I mass sowed in winter my seeds 7 months ago but I’m sure if I waited a couple of months I would have had better germination rates… Astrophytum had very high germination regardless but ariocarpus and lophophora aroun 40-50%… maybe old seeds
Checks out. I sowed some A. trigonus seeds at the same time and none have popped up. In your experience have you had seeds pop up after the temperatures started increasing?
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

nes wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:01 pm
LateBloomer wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:35 pm

Checks out. I sowed some A. trigonus seeds at the same time and none have popped up. In your experience have you had seeds pop up after the temperatures started increasing?
yes let them dry out completely in the soil then re moisten... if the seeds are not too old they will sprout...