Storing melocactus seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
abhikjha

Storing melocactus seeds

Post by abhikjha »

I recently got tons of seeds (from MG, Succseed and some local stores in India) of Melocactus and Discocactus. I don't think I will be able to sow all of them at the same time. What's the best way to store them to maintain their viability. I understand that storing in fridge may not be good idea for melos and discos as they come from humid climate like mine.
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
abhikjha

Re: Storing melocactus seeds

Post by abhikjha »

Anyone care to chime in please!!
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I haven't stored any seeds longer than a couple months, but I would assume cool and dry would be best. I supposed that is not much help for your case in particular 8-[
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks a lot for your response! I will try to keep it cooler and drier as much as possible. Currently seeds are in cardbox and that cardbox in a drawer..
7george

Post by 7george »

Dry spot in a refrigerator is OK for all seeds as well.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Jitesh Rana

Post by Jitesh Rana »

abhikjha wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:44 pm I recently got tons of seeds (from MG, Succseed and some local stores in India) of Melocactus and Discocactus. I don't think I will be able to sow all of them at the same time. What's the best way to store them to maintain their viability. I understand that storing in fridge may not be good idea for melos and discos as they come from humid climate like mine.
Isn't air tight container & Puting in dark room or where temp. Is less is best method 🤔.
I am from Haryana & store seeds in glass bottle of glycerine.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Jitesh Rana wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:19 am
abhikjha wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:44 pm I recently got tons of seeds (from MG, Succseed and some local stores in India) of Melocactus and Discocactus. I don't think I will be able to sow all of them at the same time. What's the best way to store them to maintain their viability. I understand that storing in fridge may not be good idea for melos and discos as they come from humid climate like mine.
Isn't air tight container & Puting in dark room or where temp. Is less is best method 🤔.
I am from Haryana & store seeds in glass bottle of glycerine.
Yes, storing it in airtight container is a good idea. I put it in freeze (not the fridger), this helps them to remain viable for long period of time.