Abused Parodia haselbergii

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
jerrytheplater

Abused Parodia haselbergii

Post by jerrytheplater »

I am ashamed to show you what I've done to my Parodia haselbergii which I've had at least from 2009. I overwatered while keeping at my work with minimal attention. It has split multiple times. I really like the color of the flower and am considering cutting off the top of the plant and hoping the stump will grow some pups. I'll let them grow and then re-root them after good sized.

Do you think this plant will grow some pups?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Originally, the pot contained two plants which I never separated. Here it is in a lousy shot taken in 2009.
2009-6-28.jpg
2009-6-28.jpg (65.45 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
And here it is taken today.
2021-5-1 Parodia haselbergii rsz.jpg
2021-5-1 Parodia haselbergii rsz.jpg (113.67 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
jerrytheplater

Re: Abused Parodia haselbergii

Post by jerrytheplater »

No comments? In the wrong section?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Don't worry. Be patient. Cacti can heal much more terrible injuries. Anyway it will overgrow this wound and close it. :)
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I don't know about it growing pups, but I believe this species is self-fertile, so you could sow the seeds and propagate that way. That is , if you don't mind the wait for them to grow :wink:
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

2MrXeric: cacti aren't for those who cannot wait for years. IMHO Cucumbers are faster. :)
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

MrXeric wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:40 am I don't know about it growing pups, but I believe this species is self-fertile, so you could sow the seeds and propagate that way. That is , if you don't mind the wait for them to grow :wink:
I never attempted pollinating the flowers and have never gotten seeds. Too late now as the flower in the photo is gone.

The garden center I bought this cacti at is gone now. Very few places offer a selection of cacti. Might have to go the seed route. I'm 67 so I hope I still have some time left to grow one out.

Its hard to believe this plant can overgrow this damage Anttisepp. I may have to keep it to see what happens.

Thanks to both of you for answering.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 am Very few places offer a selection of cacti.
It may be regional, but try visiting a Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, or even Trader Joe's. I've found some interesting plants from those stores. Just this week I bought a pair of nice sized Euphorbia obesa for $10 each at Lowe's. I also bought my P. haselbergii from Lowe's about a year ago. They do have lovely, long-lasting flowers.

Pic from February:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Supposedly they will clump eventually, but they don't produce offsets freely.
Spence :mrgreen:
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 am <..> Its hard to believe this plant can overgrow this damage Anttisepp. I may have to keep it to see what happens.<…>
There's always hope. :) Replant it in bigger pot, give better soil, enough water and mineral nutrients in summer. It's easy fast growing problem-free plant. I think you cared this brasilicactus as a copiapoa very dry that's why it cracked after good watering.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's past the dangerous part, when the split was fresh and rot could set in - the wound has callused over, should cause no problems. There will be scar, but it will become less noticeable over time.
Spence :mrgreen:
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

MrXeric wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:19 am
jerrytheplater wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 am Very few places offer a selection of cacti.
It may be regional, but try visiting a Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, or even Trader Joe's. I've found some interesting plants from those stores. Just this week I bought a pair of nice sized Euphorbia obesa for $10 each at Lowe's. I also bought my P. haselbergii from Lowe's about a year ago. They do have lovely, long-lasting flowers.

Pic from February:
I just hate how those big box stores sell cacti with straw flowers hot melt glued right into the growing apex. Arrrgh. But, yes I do look at them when there. Just haven't seen much I'm interested in.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

anttisepp wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:46 am
jerrytheplater wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 am <..> Its hard to believe this plant can overgrow this damage Anttisepp. I may have to keep it to see what happens.<…>
There's always hope. :) Replant it in bigger pot, give better soil, enough water and mineral nutrients in summer. It's easy fast growing problem-free plant. I think you cared this brasilicactus as a copiapoa very dry that's why it cracked after good watering.
I did just repot it. Will see how it will do. My cacti are home and I'm watching over them now. I abandoned them for the past 5 or more years.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

greenknight wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:49 am It's past the dangerous part, when the split was fresh and rot could set in - the wound has callused over, should cause no problems. There will be scar, but it will become less noticeable over time.
I sure do hope they clump. Would be great.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ