Gymnocalycium baldianum sowing time?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Vikasb23

Gymnocalycium baldianum sowing time?

Post by Vikasb23 »

Yesterday i got seedpod of gymnocalycium baldianum from my own plant.temp in my area is 40°c day and 25°C night.is this correct time to sow gymnocalycium baldianum seeds?or should i wait 2 months for monsoon season(very high humidity)?.
Also do I have to cover gymnocalycium baldianum seeds with potting mix at the time of sowing or just sprinkle on potting mix?
Aiko

Re: Gymnocalycium baldianum sowing time?

Post by Aiko »

Don't cover the seeds. Just make sure they touch the moist soil. I always push them in a bit (but I use loam as a soil, so the seeds stick easily into the soggy loam soil).

I can't recommend if you should sow now or later. Your climate is way different than mine. Up here this is the time to sow them, but we don't get 40C temperatures and definitely no 25C night temperatures. Luckily!
Vikasb23

Post by Vikasb23 »

Thanks for reply.if i don't sow now temp will increase upto 48°C in next 20-30 days.but after two month Monsoon will hit and temp again goes down to 40°C.i am confused should I wait for monsoon or start seeds sowing now.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I think anything above 30C / 35C is probably too warm...
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hi Vikas, from which part of India you are based? I have heard from many expert growers here that CAM (photosynthesis) gets severely affected if night temp is higher than 15-20C. This might be "westerners perspective"(since majority of members here are from West) :D as if this would be the case we Indians would have failed miserably in growing any desert cactus in any part of India. How do you take care of the plants when night temp gets too high?

On sowing season, I guess best season would have been Feb Mar here. Start of May if you are from North India would be too hot unless you can do this in greenhouse with regulated temp. I guess waiting till Monsoon is a better idea when you have a bit cooler weather.

Btw, I am from Mumbai where it doesn't go beyond 34-35 in summers daytime and 25 is the lowest in night. Also, we don't have winters. Since, I am growing my cactus indoors, I keep AC on in night for few hours so that they can breathe in night.

What I realised and understand on this forum is that in my tropical weather, Melocactus, Discocactus will grow much better than any desert cactus. I will also sow some Melocactus, Discocactus seeds in 1-2 weeks time but I guess we have temperature in 30-35C range with high humidity, I am guessing and hoping good germination rate.

All the best with your seeds!!
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
Vikasb23

Post by Vikasb23 »

abhikjha wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:54 pm Hi Vikas, from which part of India you are based? I have heard from many expert growers here that CAM (photosynthesis) gets severely affected if night temp is higher than 15-20C. This might be "westerners perspective"(since majority of members here are from West) :D as if this would be the case we Indians would have failed miserably in growing any desert cactus in any part of India. How do you take care of the plants when night temp gets too high?

On sowing season, I guess best season would have been Feb Mar here. Start of May if you are from North India would be too hot unless you can do this in greenhouse with regulated temp. I guess waiting till Monsoon is a better idea when you have a bit cooler weather.

Btw, I am from Mumbai where it doesn't go beyond 34-35 in summers daytime and 25 is the lowest in night. Also, we don't have winters. Since, I am growing my cactus indoors, I keep AC on in night for few hours so that they can breathe in night.

What I realised and understand on this forum is that in my tropical weather, Melocactus, Discocactus will grow much better than any desert cactus. I will also sow some Melocactus, Discocactus seeds in 1-2 weeks time but I guess we have temperature in 30-35C range with high humidity, I am guessing and hoping good germination rate.

All the best with your seeds!!
Thank for reply.i am from Haridwar(north India) i don't do anything different when night temp is goes above 25C.my cactus grow fine from Feb to November(few goes in summer dormancy like Melocactus diso etc in May end to June when temp goes above 45C).
I know best sowing time is Feb but I don't want to wait 11 months just to sow seeds.i will sow seeds in July when monsoon hit.
Jitesh Rana

Post by Jitesh Rana »

Can i see melocactus seedlings update ??
i also have Grown them in December , i am from Haryana
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Maybe sow some now and save some for later, if you have enough seed.
Spence :mrgreen: