Is Llifle now defunct?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
mikethecactusguy

Is Llifle now defunct?

Post by mikethecactusguy »

So is Llifle now gone for good? Cactus art is good but has about half the entries as Llifle. The Llifle archives will function. Slow and tedious but workable.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
madkactus

Re: Is Llifle now defunct?

Post by madkactus »

I was wondering the same thing. I read somewhere on this forum about data byte allotment perhaps being used up. :?:
Shane

Post by Shane »

I've been wondering this too. There have been outages before, but never like this. I wish I knew what the story was
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Could be that it's becoming increasingly popular, which means more traffic, which means more costs to keep it going. If needed they'd better launch a donation request. I remember a hospitality club I belong to used to post on their website how much they need on a yearly basis to keep things going, and then fill that up with incoming donations...but then, I have no idea that this is the real issue here ;)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Just looked it up and Llifle is owned by Cactus Art, which explains why they often used Cactus Art images. Here are the details:-

https://www.whois.com/whois/llifle.com

I suppose you could use one of the emails in the above link to ask about its future or contact Cactus Art itself to see what is happening? Maybe they have decided two duplicated web sites are unnecessary since Cactus Art usually deals in greater depth with the species and has more illustrations? Unfortunately Cactus Art has not yet covered all the species Llifle did. Probably there is a "contact" facility somewhere on the Cactus Art site?

https://www.cactus-art.biz/
mikethecactusguy

cactus art appears to be having website issues also. If you want to send an e-mail, it goes to g-mail loggin. No direct e-mail address. Information link is dead as well as the cactipedia link.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Download

Post by Download »

madkactus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:45 am I was wondering the same thing. I read somewhere on this forum about data byte allotment perhaps being used up. :?:
Llifle has gone down for that reason in the past, which is why I suggested it. But it should have come back by now if that was the case.
Lokoliki

Post by Lokoliki »

Cactus Art was graphically updated not that long ago, which probably doesn't bode well for the fate of Llifle... it should have been up by now if bandwidth issues, and apparently the domain expires in not too long. Really sad, I wish the owner (Valentino something? He seems like a ghost) at least actually interacted with or asked the community for support to bring it online again, just so we could copy their database and keep all those pics from being lost... Archive.org sucks tbh. I guess the Plantemania guy still has those pics but a vast majority aren't uploaded elsewhere online
ElieM

Post by ElieM »

I'm working to port Llifle into a new website, with a modern styling and restore it online. Keep in mind this is not official work and I'm not affiliated with them.
mikethecactusguy

Its sad that if Cactus Art and Llifle are owned by the same person but cactus art has a least a 3rd less of the information that was available on Llifle. And I agree Valentino has been a ghost for at least a year.
Thank you ElieM for putting out the effort to save the information
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
ElieM

Post by ElieM »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:33 pm Its sad that if Cactus Art and Llifle are owned by the same person but cactus art has a least a 3rd less of the information that was available on Llifle. And I agree Valentino has been a ghost for at least a year.
Thank you ElieM for putting out the effort to save the information
Cactus-art is really good but has nowhere near the information that its sibling website had. I got a copy of Llifle from archives, minus the pictures as those are very tricky to get.

I wrote code to migrate the plant pages to a newer modern presentation and I'm currently building a simple index for navigation. Once it's up and running, we can add some functionality to upload pictures to it, so new pictures, plus the amazing info from the old Llifle website will hopefully form a good website for us. I couldn't accept that this information would be offline and lost, Llife simply had it all.
Shane

Post by Shane »

ElieM wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:02 pm I'm working to port Llifle into a new website, with a modern styling and restore it online. Keep in mind this is not official work and I'm not affiliated with them.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Be careful you don't infringe copywrite Elie as you legally may need their (Cactus Art) permission to copy the work and certainly re-publish it.

This quote as an example:-

"When does the copyright term on an article expire?

That is, the copyright term in the article will expire 70 years from the end of the year in which the work was first published."

Most countries are now part of the Berne Copyright Convention and therefore foreigners are covered by your nations copywrite laws just as if it was published first in your country.

"Each Berne member country automatically provides citizens from other member countries with, at a minimum, the same copyright protections it provides for its own citizens. This is the notion of national treatment."

See:-

https://www.copyrightlaws.com/introduct ... right-law/

Both the UK and Ireland are signatories to the Berne Copywrite Convention so both parts of Ireland are covered by it.

"Any individual or business that infringes copyright can face legal action. Infringement is usually treated as civil offence but can, in certain circumstances, be deemed a criminal offence, with damages awarded by a court. Depending on the severity of the infringement, the result can be a fine or even imprisonment."

https://www.startuploans.co.uk/business ... prisonment.
ElieM

Post by ElieM »

DaveW wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:22 am Be careful you don't infringe copywrite Elie as you legally may need their (Cactus Art) permission to copy the work and certainly re-publish it.

This quote as an example:-

"When does the copyright term on an article expire?

That is, the copyright term in the article will expire 70 years from the end of the year in which the work was first published."

Most countries are now part of the Berne Copyright Convention and therefore foreigners are covered by your nations copywrite laws just as if it was published first in your country.

"Each Berne member country automatically provides citizens from other member countries with, at a minimum, the same copyright protections it provides for its own citizens. This is the notion of national treatment."

See:-

https://www.copyrightlaws.com/introduct ... right-law/

Both the UK and Ireland are signatories to the Berne Copywrite Convention so both parts of Ireland are covered by it.

"Any individual or business that infringes copyright can face legal action. Infringement is usually treated as civil offence but can, in certain circumstances, be deemed a criminal offence, with damages awarded by a court. Depending on the severity of the infringement, the result can be a fine or even imprisonment."

https://www.startuploans.co.uk/business ... prisonment.
Thanks Dave, I already had a look at their license and it says the following:
Usage of text

The text in any LLIFLE page is available under a CC-BY-SA Creative Commons Attribution.

You are free:
to Share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work, and
to Remix - to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:
Attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work.)
Share Alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same, similar or a compatible license.

With the understanding that:
Waiver - Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.

Other Rights - In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
your fair dealing or fair use rights;
the author's moral rights; and rights other persons may have either in the work itself or in how the work is used, such as publicity or privacy rights.
Notice - For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do that is with a link to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
As seen on https://web.archive.org/web/20210123182 ... conditions, seems that all is good.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Great Ellie, make sure of the pictures though since Valentino may own the copywrite to them and has therefore only given permission for Lliffe to publish them on that site. In posting a picture here I have given Cactiguide the right to use it on the forum, but I still retain the copyright. Therefore if another site wanted to take it off here and use it legally they need my permission to do so, since I still retain the copywrite. That is why we should always link to somebody else's picture on another site for a reference and not simply copy it and paste it here unless we have their permission to do so.