3 Months Later: Time to repot?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
From0to10in2weeks

3 Months Later: Time to repot?

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

Hi,

Of the 16 pots I sowed in February these Pachycereus pringlei seedlings are by far the overachievers. For reference, it's a 7 x 7 cm pot.

Now, it's getting crowded in this pot and I am wondering if I should repot or continue to wait. What do you think?

If yes, would you transfer to a "normal" cactus substrate or continue with a pure mineral one as for the seeds? Also, if I repot do I bury the seed leafs ("wings") or have the substrate come just underneath them?

Thanks. Best.
Attachments
23_Pachycereus pringlei_IMG_5916.jpg
23_Pachycereus pringlei_IMG_5916.jpg (273.03 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
23_Pachycereus pringlei_IMG_5915.jpg
23_Pachycereus pringlei_IMG_5915.jpg (320.71 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
jerrytheplater

Re: 3 Months Later: Time to repot?

Post by jerrytheplater »

Even though they are really crowded, I'd wait longer to repot. I usually waited a year or so for those I've grown. And when I did, I sowed them with large gaps between seeds to allow a long time in the germination pot. But that is not possible for you now. Something to remember for next time.

I did grow a large container of Frailea castanea plus or minus a few years from 2013 and I kept scattering the seeds in it and allowed them to grow on their own, no matter the spacing. There I just gave them normal conditions for the mature plants. No special care for the seedlings or germination.
rsz 2013-7-24 Frailea castanea Length wise.jpg
rsz 2013-7-24 Frailea castanea Length wise.jpg (114.62 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Download

Post by Download »

I didn't have much luck repotting my last batch of seedlings at that size. I wouldn't risk it.

If you are worried about the spines damaging neighbouring seedlings, I'd take a small pair of scissors and cut the culprit spines off.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Unless they're actually out of space to grow in, you don't need to re-pot yet. They seem to like being a bit crowded in the early stages (I disagree with Jerry about spacing the seeds out more, this spacing is fine).

I wouldn't worry about their spines damaging their neighbor - at most you might get some tiny scars that will be invisible when the cacti are larger.

When you do pot them up, use the mix they're going to be in permanently. Plant them at the same depth they grew originally, unless there was a problem with one not being properly rooted down, which can happen occasionally. The seed leaves are going to disappear in time, they don't matter at all.
Spence :mrgreen:
From0to10in2weeks

jerrytheplater wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:41 pm Even though they are really crowded, I'd wait longer to repot. I usually waited a year or so for those I've grown. And when I did, I sowed them with large gaps between seeds to allow a long time in the germination pot. But that is not possible for you now. Something to remember for next time.
Yes, that was a surprise to me how difficult it was to control spacing when placing the seeds. I have an idea I’ll try with my second attempt later this year.
From0to10in2weeks

Download wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:36 pm I didn't have much luck repotting my last batch of seedlings at that size. I wouldn't risk it.

If you are worried about the spines damaging neighbouring seedlings, I'd take a small pair of scissors and cut the culprit spines off.
Thanks for sharing your experience. The spines are soft. So, I am not too worried. Yet.
From0to10in2weeks

greenknight wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:27 pm When you do pot them up, use the mix they're going to be in permanently. Plant them at the same depth they grew originally, unless there was a problem with one not being properly rooted down, which can happen occasionally. The seed leaves are going to disappear in time, they don't matter at all.
Thanks Spence. Very helpful as always. Best.
7george

Post by 7george »

I also have some seedlings being re-potted once this year (in winter) and now they need another move, started out-crowding each other. Told them to wait for now.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8