Help ID Mr. Grungie Puhleez

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
OWgave

Re: Help ID Mr. Grungie Puhleez

Post by OWgave »

Hello Cacti Lovers-

Visited several cacti nurseries in Vegas, Arizona and San Diego last week and showed images of cactus in question and none of the employees could not ID it. Most said maybe a sick grusonii. Thought I'd get a more definite answer on my trip.

OWgave
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Unlikely they would be a hybrid between E. grusonii and another Echinocactus since there are so many of them and they would be unlikely to all come similar from the same seedpod. Could they be a Ferocactus? Certainly they are a puzzle. The only plants I saw dirtied like that were some plants in Chile growing near an old coal fired PowerStation that spread soot and coal dust over everything for quite a distance around it. Previous industrial pollution could be the cause with the crowns now growing new yellow spines?
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

Thanks for chimming in their DaveW. This round barrel cactus is sure a head scratcher.

OWgave
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

Hello Everyone-

Still haven’t a clue as to the ID of this cactus. Thought I’d bump it back up to see if any new info would arise.

Thanks for reading and MASS thanks for replying.

OWgave
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Look like they were subjected to industrial pollution in the past with only the crowns now growing out normal coloured spination? Spines do dull with age, but they just look dirty? Saw some cacti in Chile near a coal fired power station that were also blackened like those with only the new growth normal coloured.

Interesting to see if the new spines would turn that dark spination in another cleaner area?
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

DaveW wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:23 pm Look like they were subjected to industrial pollution in the past with only the crowns now growing out normal coloured spination? Spines do dull with age, but they just look dirty? Saw some cacti in Chile near a coal fired power station that were also blackened like those with only the new growth normal coloured.

Interesting to see if the new spines would turn that dark spination in another cleaner area?
Echinocactus chernobyl? :lol:
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

Hello Fellow Cacti Lovers-

In another xeric forum, someone mentioned his light colored echinocactus went from light gold to a barrel similar to Mr. Grungie when he brought it from San Diego to Tucson, Arizona when he moved there. Either his planted adapted strangely or would all golden barrels down in Tucson slowly turn into Curt Cobain Barrel (sorry, had only 2 hours of sleep last night 😩)?

OWgave
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

OWgave wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:22 pm Hello Fellow Cacti Lovers-

In another xeric forum, someone mentioned his light colored echinocactus went from light gold to a barrel similar to Mr. Grungie when he brought it from San Diego to Tucson, Arizona when he moved there. Either his planted adapted strangely or would all golden barrels down in Tucson slowly turn into Curt Cobain Barrel (sorry, had only 2 hours of sleep last night 😩)?

OWgave
That was me that replied on Agaveville. Maybe I didn't explain my 2 cactus from San Diego properly. They both were nearly snow white (not standard golden barrel) when I moved here, but in a short time they looked like the images you posted on Agaveville.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

OWgave wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:20 am Hello Everyone-

Still haven’t a clue as to the ID of this cactus.

OWgave
Really? A few of us mentioned Echinocactus grussonii, and a nursery men told you the same, and you don't have a clue? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alejandro
OWgave

Post by OWgave »

A_G_R wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:19 pm

OWgave
Really? A few of us mentioned Echinocactus grussonii, and a nursery men told you the same, and you don't have a clue? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope, not quite convinced yet.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

OWgave wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:10 pm
A_G_R wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:19 pm

OWgave
Nope, not quite convinced yet.
Good luck with that buddy!! :lol:
Alejandro