Seedlings turning yellow

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Miked

Seedlings turning yellow

Post by Miked »

My golden barrel seedlings once looked nice and green. Now they seem to be dying off and look yellow.
I'm not too sure if I've overwatered them or underwater. I usually water every couple of weeks. I planted them about 8 months ago.

It's almost winter here in Sydney, Australia and they are outside.
Any ideas/suggestions!?
Thanks
Mike

Before

After
Jangaudi

Re: Seedlings turning yellow

Post by Jangaudi »

They look like they have received more light/sun now than before, which turns them coloured. I'd try with more shade, and see what they do. Usually even a short period of direct sun turns them coloured, so that could be it.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

I would agree cut back on the sun and a wee bit on the watering. My Sclerocactus seedlings went red quickly and with less light back to green just as quickly. Mine are now outside mostly indirect light/shade and are green.
Miked

Post by Miked »

Thanks for the replies!!! Will give it a go
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Why did you separate them? The best way - by far - is to grow them in a community pot for a year crowded or not. They grow faster, healthier and a more easily managed that way. This way you run the risk of losing many of them. Usually from water remaining in the mix too long, but also from unused mix going ''off''. Keep them in the warmest place you can find under protection from rain. They should really be three times the size after 8 months.
Miked

Post by Miked »

Hey MikeInOz thanks for the reply. Yeh I realise now I separated them way to early. The mix they were originally in wasn't great so I thought moving them and setting it up properly would be better. And yes I lost quite a few.

Yeh I thought they hadn't grown much at all. As far as warmest place, I can't really keep them inside so not sure if should set up a little greenhouse or put them under the carport. Any suggestion on just keeping them warm outside?
Miked

Post by Miked »

Hey MikeInOz thanks for the reply. Yeh I realise now I separated them way to early. The mix they were originally in wasn't great so I thought moving them and setting it up properly would be better. And yes I lost quite a few.

Yeh I thought they hadn't grown much at all. As far as warmest place, I can't really keep them inside so not sure if should set up a little greenhouse or put them under the carport. Any suggestion on just keeping them warm outside?
7george

Post by 7george »

Miked wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:41 am
A little greenhouse will be perfect. Also sowing them in the beginning of the warm season so these can reach decent size (~ 5 mm diam.) till the next cold season so they can stay almost dry during that time. Some shading is also a must for all kind of seedlings.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8