# Seeds Per cm2? Sowing Astro with Ariocarpus/Lophophora?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
LateBloomer

# Seeds Per cm2? Sowing Astro with Ariocarpus/Lophophora?

Post by LateBloomer »

How many seeds would you sow in a 10cm pot if you didn't want to repot for a year or 2? I don't mind my seedlings growing close together and pushing up on each other just don't want to have to report before around 2 year mark.

I'm planning on sowing mixed Ariocarpus and lopho seeds as well as Astrophytum Asterias. I've grown ariocarpus with lopho before without issues since both have taproots but would astros be fine to sow together or would their growth rate surpass too much leading to repotting sooner?

Was planning on just mixing all my seeds together and sowing them slightly packed but not sure If i should include the Astros or not.
Aiko

Re: # Seeds Per cm2? Sowing Astro with Ariocarpus/Lophophora?

Post by Aiko »

I always sow in pots of 5 by 5 centimeters wide. I can easily fit 100 seeds in it. Even if all seeds germinate, the seedlings will fit snugly in it. Of course it depends a bit what kind of species. For anything that grows fast or has large seedlings (like Agave or Aloe), this does not apply. But for almost all cacti species, it does.

You can keep them in the pot for two years. But I still would advice to try to repot them after a year or so and distribute the seedlings further into two or three pots to give them a little room and to stimulate them to grow a bit bigger faster.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Aiko wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:55 pm I always sow in pots of 5 by 5 centimeters wide. I can easily fit 100 seeds in it. Even if all seeds germinate, the seedlings will fit snugly in it. Of course it depends a bit what kind of species. For anything that grows fast or has large seedlings (like Agave or Aloe), this does not apply. But for almost all cacti species, it does.

You can keep them in the pot for two years. But I still would advice to try to repot them after a year or so and distribute the seedlings further into two or three pots to give them a little room and to stimulate them to grow a bit bigger faster.
Would you mix the seeds of different species together or just split the put 50/50 half x half y... I’ll be growing slow cacti like lopho and ariocarpus... not sure if Astrophytum asterias are as slow so might sow separately. I know lopho arnt as slow as ariocarpus so I’ll assume Astrophytum are as fast as lopho? They will all be getting the same soil/lightning and watering
keith

Post by keith »

I would sow Astrophytum Asterias separate they grow faster and germinate faster
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

keith wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:51 pm I would sow Astrophytum Asterias separate they grow faster and germinate faster
Ok Thanks will do.