Seeds root on top of soil

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
abhikjha

Seeds root on top of soil

Post by abhikjha »

Hi all,

Recently sown some seeds of Ariocarpus. Pretty decent germination rate. When I was looking through the lid of the container, I found that a number of them have white roots on top of soil surface, probably because I just sprinkled them on surface. The top layer is fine sand.

I am thinking to open the box once germination is over in couple of weeks, fix the roots in small holes and cover the substrate using small gravels or grit. Remove excess humidity by removing water droplets on lid, mist them again with hydrogen peroxide mixed water and cover them again for next at last 1 year.

Does this sound fine? Please help as this is my first seed growing experience and seeds of Ariocarpus are very expensive here.

Cheers
Abhik
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
greenknight

Re: Seeds root on top of soil

Post by greenknight »

As long as the container is closed up and the seedlings are in 100% humidity, those roots on the surface will be fine - no reason to rush opening it up, you can cover them later. Disturbing them at an early stage is more likely to kill them than help. The roots will find their way into the mix without intervention, no need to worry.

Opening the box brings a high risk of introducing mold spores, I don't know if peroxide would kill them. If you then seal the box up again, you create perfect conditions for mold to grow - I wouldn't do that.
Spence :mrgreen:
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks a lot Spence! I see your point and agree with that! My only worry was the whether or not those seedlings will survive if their roots are on surface! But I guess I will let nature and them do their work. So you will suggest that I open them after a year or so? Last time, for some of my Astrophytum seedlings I opened the lid after 3 months and most of them dried up in few days in partial sun despite daily misting. I am not gonna do that mistake again.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, you could leave it closed as long as it stays damp enough - if moisture is condensing on the inside of the lid, then it's damp enough. As long as there's no rot, and the seedlings are not badly overcrowded, you can leave it closed up quite a long time, 6 months to a year would not be excessive. With very slow growing species, even 2 years - but Arios aren't that slow.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks Spence. I will let them as it is till the time I don't see water molecules on the lid. Mositure and Humidity, we have plenty in Mumbai 😀

As discussed on other forum, I will use cocopeat mat to bottom water it (maybe with weak fertilizer) once moisture on lid starts disappearing.

Hope all of them survive!!

Cheers
Abhik
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Hi Spence, just one last question - whats the critical point in time or what is it I need to look out for to decide now that it's time to bottom water them? Disappearance of moisture from the lid and side surface of the box? And I suppose, for bottom watering, there is no need to open the lid, right?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Your container with the lid has drain holes, is that what you're saying? If that's the case, sure - no need to open it (as long as there are no problems) until they're mature enough. If you can bottom water without removing the lid, there's no reason to wait, you can start as soon as you're ready - you definitely should start before the visible moisture completely disappears.
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Yes, my container has few holes at the bottom for drainage and one small hole on the top for some ventilation. Cool, so I will observe them and as soon as the moisture starts depleting, I will bottom water it..