A view of my collection

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
bionik

A view of my collection

Post by bionik »

I have 25 cacti so far. I'm relatively new in all the cactus-mania stuff so they are mostly young and small, just a few of them being 5-6 years old I think. I used to have a couple more but they have rotten and died, so these are the survivors:

1) Cephalocereus senilis

2) Echinocactus grusonii

3)Echinopsis arachnacanta
(Lobivia arachnacanta)

4)Echinopsis chamaecereus

5) Echinopsis eyriesii (my guess)

6) Echinopsis oxygona (also my guess)

7) Ferocactus hamatacanthus

8) Gymnocalycium anisitsii

9) Gymnocalycium pflanzii

10) Haageocereus versicolor (at least I was told it's that species)

11) Mammillaria columbiana

12) Mammillaria prolifera

13) Mammillaria scrippsiana (or maybe M. grusonii )

14) Mammillaria tetrancistra
(or maybe M. grahamii, or some other with fishhook spikes, got no idea)

15) Opuntia ficus-indica (also a guess)

16) Pachycereus pringlei (at least that's what fellow members of this forum told me it is)

17) Parodia leninghausii

18) Parodia schumanniana

19) Pilosocereus pachycladus

20) Polaskia chichipe

21) Rebutia heliosa (var. „Sunrise“)

22) Weberbauerocereus johnsonii (ID provided by this forum comunity reacently)

I also have Disocactus hybrid (heavily burned, but thriving and resistant as a mule - I think that thing could even survive on Mars), Mammillaria gracillis (just a few tiny "eggs") and pebble-sized Schlumbergera.
Mrs.Green

Re: A view of my collection

Post by Mrs.Green »

Nice looking cacti and lovely photos! :) The pepple-sized Schlumbergera I would like to see a pic of! :D
eulaspiegel

Post by eulaspiegel »

Lovely photos, do you keep your plants outside?
Growing mostly under LED lights, in northern latitudes. Especially interested in stem succulents and caudiciforms. Dreaming of my first greenhouse.
bionik

Post by bionik »

@Mrs.Green thanks :)
Here it is, but it's really poor-looking.
I got it by snatching a branch tip fragment from a larger plant in one school I was working at. But by the time I got home from work I completely forgot about it and left it inside my bag. When I finally remembered where I left it, I found it shriveled and heavily damaged. Still, I planted that poor suffering thing into a pot and waited for the outcome. It remained apparently dead for over a month and to my surprise it started to develop some tiny sprouts now to my joy. I think it's probably mended itself by now and ready to live on :)

@eulaspiegel thanks :)
I keep them outside, but I tend to move them around like infants (I'm crazy in love with them) during the super hot days, getting the smaller ones into the shade, leaving them to receive direct sunlight only up until noon, or sometimes until 2PM if the radiation is less intense. I leave only the "big guys" (Polaskia, Pilosocereus pachycladus, and Haageocereus) basking in the sun the whole day long because they don't seem to mind it. I also noticed that my cacti bloom more intensely this year, maybe because I held them longer into the winter regime so they had more time to rest and prepare for the growing season.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I don't think #17 is Parodia leninghausii, which has about 30 ribs. Looks more like P. warasii
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

14) Mammillaria tetrancistra -- This is M. zeilmanniana, almost sure;

15) Opuntia ficus-indica (also a guess) -- ficus-indica blooms when at least 2 m high, this is O. monacantha or something else.

I like your approach of growing a single segment of Schlumbergera in a large pot in order to fit it till it gets a big shrub... in a tiny pot (as I do) very frequent watering will be needed.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

bionik wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:04 pm @Mrs.Green thanks :)
Here it is, but it's really poor-looking.
I got it by snatching a branch tip fragment from a larger plant in one school I was working at. But by the time I got home from work I completely forgot about it and left it inside my bag. When I finally remembered where I left it, I found it shriveled and heavily damaged. Still, I planted that poor suffering thing into a pot and waited for the outcome. It remained apparently dead for over a month and to my surprise it started to develop some tiny sprouts now to my joy. I think it's probably mended itself by now and ready to live on :)

Good morning Bionik :) It’s tiny but it seems to be doing well. From my limited experience, cacti can be remarkably resilient! If it grows into a large plant, you will have a cacti with an interesting history :)
bionik

Post by bionik »

@greenkinght and 7george - thanks for clarification :salute:
That Mammillaria was acquired this year and it blooms for the second time already, she seems to be doing great. The Opuntia is my most hated plant, the bristles on that thing cause excruciating pain and are so tricky to be noticed and removed. I left it outside the entire winter (I was secretly hoping it might die - I admit it 8-[ ) but the darn thing survived the frosts and grows even better now.

I put most of my plants in larger pots and they don't seem to mind that - plus I don't have to repot them every year like that. I have some seedlings I've grown from cacti mix in very small pots, but they struggle a lot and look weak (at least they're alive, that's my comfort :-k ).

@Mrs.Green Salutations from East Europe. I'm fond of "saving" cacti, I got a few found lying on the street half-dead (their owners threw them away) and they recovered in my care, but I also got some that died on me as well. Hope this one will be a survivor :)
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Good morning Bionik :)

« @Mrs.Green Salutations from East Europe. I'm fond of "saving" cacti, I got a few found lying on the street half-dead (their owners threw them away) and they recovered in my care, but I also got some that died on me as well. Hope this one will be a survivor :) «

Ah, another rescuer! :) I am an eager rescuer myself and as you, with mixed results. But it’s extra satisfying when a rescued plant recovers .