Pollinating Copiapoa Hypogea

Create seed of your own
EliWhitney3140

Pollinating Copiapoa Hypogea

Post by EliWhitney3140 »

This may be a silly question, but can you pollinate a Copiapoa Hypogea from one of it's pups? I have a big clump of Hypogea and a few of the cactus have flowered and I was wondering if they could be pollinated.
gemhunter178

Re: Pollinating Copiapoa Hypogea

Post by gemhunter178 »

As far as I know you'll need a completely different clone to produce seeds normally. Plants grown from pups are genetically identical and won't usually produce seeds when pollenated with what is essentially itself.
That being said there are some methods for self pollination you can try, though I cannot say if they will work. I did try a cement self-pollination method on my C. hypogea and got 5 seeds out of it. Though I have not tried sowing them yet.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
EliWhitney3140

Post by EliWhitney3140 »

thank you for your reply, I will look into that.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

I have observed here that Copiapoa hypogea "lizard skin" is self fertile, so at least for lizard skin it is possible to self-pollinate it and have seeds.
Otherwise, for self-incompatible species, pollinating the pups of a given plant will not produce seeds (unless using these thechiques to overcome self incompatibility): the pups and the mother plant are genetically identical so they cant be used to pollinate one another