Llifle is back on line

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
mikethecactusguy

Llifle is back on line

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Llifle is back on line ..
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
eulaspiegel

Re: Llifle is back on line

Post by eulaspiegel »

Oh wow, I had already given up all hope. I have heard that there is a lot of wrong information on there but it is still one of the most comprehensive online resources (if you take the information you get there with a grain of salt).
Growing mostly under LED lights, in northern latitudes. Especially interested in stem succulents and caudiciforms. Dreaming of my first greenhouse.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:43 pm Llifle is back on line ..
Great! Thank you Mikethecactusguy :D
dinfelu

Post by dinfelu »

thanks mike

It is my favorite site for information and photographs

regards
🌵 Gabriel
mikethecactusguy

eulaspiegel
how about explaining all the wrong information on Llifle since so many of us here rely on the sites information. Where have heard all this? Have you yourself found wrong information? I think your statements need to be clarified. The site is used by so many people and cross referenced by many other sites.
Thank you
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

They occasionally get priority of names wrong Mike, as does Cactus Art Biz, but that does not affect the general information. In botany the oldest validly published name takes priority over any published later. That does not mean you have to adopt the latest classification regarding genus, but the name or new combination in a different genus needs to have been validly published or it is merely a nomen nudum. Also with all cultural information, as on this Forum, it may not be correct for your conditions. Otherwise their information is pretty good
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

I think also information is often copy / pasted and not specifically adjusted for some species. It's not a critique or something cause I know how much work it all takes. I guess until someone decides to correct some of that information it will remain there. I seem to remember some wintergrower with summer growing care tips etc. but typically I forgot where that was.
And for instance the pictures on Tylecodon bodleyae are of the wrong species, but someone has pointed that out already.
http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUCC ... n_bodleyae
Overal it's good it's back online though !
eulaspiegel

Post by eulaspiegel »

My comment was absolutely not meant as a harsh critique of the site, as I said it's a great resource and I use it a lot myself. The amount of work put into it must be tremendous.
I haven't noticed anything starkly wrong myself, just that there is a lot of copypasted information, Jangaudi and DaveW have already said what some of the issues are (and I had been warned about those elsewhere). I just think it's good to keep in mind to double-check the information you get from there (but I guess that could be said about anything found on the internet :) )
Growing mostly under LED lights, in northern latitudes. Especially interested in stem succulents and caudiciforms. Dreaming of my first greenhouse.
mikethecactusguy

You made 2 statements. 1-"I have heard that there is a lot of wrong information" and 2-"(if you take the information you get there with a grain of salt)"
I don't get why you even posted these statements? You have not backed any of it up. Why trash the website with out actual proof? It's false information like this that has consequences down the line. Valentino does not make money from this. We are all thankful he maintains it like he has. If people spread false information, what incentive does he have to continue maintaining the site.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
ElieM

Post by ElieM »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:38 pm You made 2 statements. 1-"I have heard that there is a lot of wrong information" and 2-"(if you take the information you get there with a grain of salt)"
I don't get why you even posted these statements? You have not backed any of it up. Why trash the website with out actual proof? It's false information like this that has consequences down the line. Valentino does not make money from this. We are all thankful he maintains it like he has. If people spread false information, what incentive does he have to continue maintaining the site.
I tried to offer them to maintain it, they won't reply.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Mike, a large website like this run by volunteers or even just one, is a work of progress, we all know this, and nobody has trashed the website. If it be run by a dev team, people would create tickets where some work still needs to be done. Pointing out some "work that needs to be done" does not mean we think it is bad, on the contrary it can be constructive. A big hooray to Valentino for the amazing job, and if he needs help developing it even further he can ask for support ;)