Large Jade Root rot

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Arj12345

Large Jade Root rot

Post by Arj12345 »

Hi all, first thread hope you can help. My jade branches started dropping so I uprooted and found root root. Had to take almost all of the roots off. Pic attached. Could you please help me with what next steps to take? Have put cinnamon and let it dry today.

Some background - I live in a hot and humid area 30c/96f. Have no access to perlite and cactus mixes for soil.
Attachments
20210701_200442.jpg
20210701_200442.jpg (66.31 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
20210701_201533.jpg
20210701_201533.jpg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Mrs.Green

Re: Large Jade Root rot

Post by Mrs.Green »

Hi Arj12345 :) First of all, I am no expert and I have zero experience with growing plants in a climate like yours, so please take this into account when reading my reply :) But it seems to be quite a large plant? I doubt that trying to re-root such a large plant with no roots at all would be successfull. I would have taken several cuttings of it and rooted those instead or at least some cuttings to be on the safe side, if you decide to try re-rooting the mother plant. But I may be wrong, lets hear what more experienced succulentgrowers say :)
Arj12345

Post by Arj12345 »

Thank you! I got the below advice from an experienced grower (@primitive_habits) so hope it helps others in the same situation

I can only let you know what has worked for me in the past, hopefully will work for you too.
Your root rot has come from over watering/poorly draining soil. I have similar conditions to you although sub tropical so bit less humidity during winter. For my Jade plants o have used really cheap potting mix as it drains very well and water only when the leaves become wrinkled,I’ve found that they can go literally weeks without water and thrive.

With regards to your situation I would treat this as a large cutting - in the past I’ve taken cuttings as large as this by simply cutting at 45 degrees across the trunk and striking into slightly moist (very slight) potting mix. Won’t take long for roots to appear and take hold.

Some advice says to let the cut heal over before striking but I have never done that and have had multiple successes.

Keep in semi shade while it takes root, mine are outside near a fence that gives partial shade
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Arj12345; Great that you have gotten advice from a experienced grover who also have similar conditions ! Hope your plant will root again . Good luck :)