Nes and his balcony of lame plants

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
nes

Re: Nes and his balcony of lame plants

Post by nes »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:15 pm hey nes. Not sure which country you are in but your 3 not sure what they are Loph's, peyote.
Mike M
Sorry, I don't know what that means.
Thanks for trying to help though :D :wink: :D
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

If you live in the United States unless you are a Native American Indian using Peyote for a Religious Ceremony they are illegal to cultivate and own. Your 3 plants are Peyote Plants not "astrophytum". That is what it means.
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

I've seen plenty of unscrupulous sellers selling peyotes as "astrophytums".
nes

Post by nes »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:14 pm If you live in the United States unless you are a Native American Indian using Peyote for a Religious Ceremony they are illegal to cultivate and own. Your 3 plants are Peyote Plants not "astrophytum". That is what it means.
Mike M
Thanks for letting me know, I'll toss them right away. I'd never heard of such a thing. A cactus as illegal? That's interesting to hear about.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

nes wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:23 am
mikethecactusguy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:14 pm If you live in the United States unless you are a Native American Indian using Peyote for a Religious Ceremony they are illegal to cultivate and own. Your 3 plants are Peyote Plants not "astrophytum". That is what it means.
Mike M
Thanks for letting me know, I'll toss them right away. I'd never heard of such a thing. A cactus as illegal? That's interesting to hear about.
Peyotes have psychoactive properties. (something like that). Hopefully you don't have to throw them...
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Don't toss them. Grow them and enjoy them. Just don't advertise you have them.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Mike M
Judging by the number of posts and pics of these plants on different fora , there must be surprisingly many Native American Indians who are interested in growing these plants.. :P Which leds me to wonder how strict this law is enforced in the US?

A lot of people openly discuss and post pics of these plants ( not all living in the US though) , one would belive that keeping and growing an illegal plants would be kept a bit more secret, than posting pics of them on different fora? I have seen a few been kalled ‘Astrophytums’ but mostly they are openly discussed by their rightful name.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

Seems to be a very common " EBay thing"...a California seller lists Loph's as "RARE Ariocarpus Astrophytum Aztekium" and a Chinese seller lists them as "Two heads Astrophytum asterias cactus Succulent Home Bonsai Decor plants".

While the pictures are very identifiable Peyote cactus. I suppose they could be "amateur" botanists ( unlikely) or just beating the system for a buck. EBay doesn't seem to care ...even though it is their official policy. Lots of counterfeit goods on there.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Here's something.
If you are doing illegal plant things, like having a peyote, and not being native american; or propagating a patented plant. The police will target those who are making money from it, like nurseries doing mass propagation. They don't have time to inspect your backyard. Just don't advertise you have it, propagate it only for your own enjoyment, and the plant police will leave you alone.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you Steve-0 and Aeonium 2003 for the info :)
nes

Post by nes »

New pup shot up on my columnar cactus, and check out the little pterocactus cladodes I was given. Trying get roots on them.
TB1-18-2022.jpg
TB1-18-2022.jpg (106.44 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
Shane

Post by Shane »

Mrs.Green wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:12 am Which leds me to wonder how strict this law is enforced in the US?
What I've heard is not too strictly, unless you're growing them for sale, or possessing dried peyote. I haven't heard of anyone being busted for growing it for horticultural reasons. Owning land where peyote is growing naturally doesn't count as "possessing" it

L. williamsii is illegal to possess in the US regardless of intent. Interestingly, some plants fall in a gray area where you can grow the plants, but you can't use or turn them into drugs (or intend to, conspire to, or supply to people with the intent to). Mescaline containing Echinopsis fall into this category, as do opium poppies
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you Shane :)
keith

Post by keith »

Hi Nes, those are turbinicarpus not peyote ;-) no worries don't toss them
nes

Post by nes »

keith wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:53 pm Hi Nes, those are turbinicarpus not peyote ;-) no worries don't toss them
Here's update on my turbinicarpus I didn't toss. Thanks for letting me know what they actually were. I can't seem to figure out what everyone else is talking about. Anyways, check it out, one of them shot out a flower bud. I'm glad I didn't toss them
turbinicarpusLOPHOPHOROIDES1-20-2022.jpeg
turbinicarpusLOPHOPHOROIDES1-20-2022.jpeg (148.19 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
Finally acquired two gymno. vatteri paucispinum seedlings, hopefully the flower at the same time next summer.
gymnovatteripaucipspinum1-20-2022.jpeg
gymnovatteripaucipspinum1-20-2022.jpeg (138.97 KiB) Viewed 3314 times