What is wrong with it

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Not a pro

What is wrong with it

Post by Not a pro »

When I purchased it it was slightly like this now it has extended, anyone?? Help please

https://ibb.co/CP7zY0r
hegar

Re: What is wrong with it

Post by hegar »

This is a tough one.
At first I thought, that it was just a physiological disorder or a natural event like corking. Then I noticed, that the problem seems to start out around the areole of the plant. Some insect and mite pests and also plant pathogens would most likely become active in that area.
I assume, that you have taken a close look at the plant, examining it with a magnifying glass and can thus rule out external insect/mite feeders.
How does the plant epidermis appear, when you do examine it with a hand lens? Is the stem surface pitted and different looking than the surface that does have a green color? Does the discoloration extend around the stem evenly or is it located on just one side? Is there a difference in turgidity when you apply a bit of pressure to the discolored area versus the green area?
I have seen some lesions, which developed around the areoles of prickly pear cacti, but those were greyish in color. Unfortunately, nobody was able to diagnose those correctly. Sometimes there is not much that can be done when only a photo of the affected plant's symptom is available. With a prickly pear I would advise to discard the plant and start with a healthy one and fresh, sterile growing medium. Your plant does have a few pups. If they are not showing any sign of discoloration, it might be a good idea to separate them from the mother plant and grow them. Your plant may survive whatever it is that is ailing it, but at least, then you would have clones of it, just in case the mother plant does not make it.

Harald