added calcium?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
samreu

Re: added calcium?

Post by samreu »

Thanks Jerry, I'm clear on the liquid and the "stock solution" - the dry ratio didn't make sense but I appreciate that you did the calculations (saw your other posts) for the gallon mixture. I'll just go that route, I was just a little concerned about mixing up a gallon of the "stock solution" and letting it sit for too long and it precipitating out - what's your experience.
I'm using mineral mix for all my cacti and succs (with some bark), and fertilize on every watering. Lots of humidity here in Ottawa but your 45" beats my 36" annual , 25% more is certainly substantial - but half of mine is white :<)
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Algae will grow in the stock solution if you keep it too long. You could make it half strength and use double the ounces to use it up faster. Or quarter strength and quadruple the ounces.

How long is too long? Totally depends on your conditions: temp, light, contamination.

It will never precipitate out. It would have to be supersaturated to do that, and you are far from that concentration.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
7george

Post by 7george »

For Calcium better use pelletized gypsum as an addition to soil mix. Contains >20% calcium.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8