Echinopsis hybrid id

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Jura

Echinopsis hybrid id

Post by Jura »

Hey all,

I know this might be an impossible task, but someone might know.

I got this echinopsis a year ago, I didn't know exact id of it but I thought that flower might help. It didn't. I went through numerous echinopsis hybrid lists and nothing... so I'm asking you kind people for help!

Any input valuable 😊
Attachments
t20210716_215422.jpg
t20210716_215422.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
DaveW

Re: Echinopsis hybrid id

Post by DaveW »

Why do you think it is a hybrid and not a species? Why not the normal Echinopsis oxygona? The flowers on E. oxygona range from pink to white and from spiny to virtually spineless bodies. These plants have been propagated from offsets for generations so are probably clones of the originals. I would have thought the hybridisers would be more likely to hybridise for coloured flowers, but of course if seed grown it could be a hybrid.

See pages 27-34 of this download for its history.

http://www.cactusexplorers.org.uk/Explo ... mplete.pdf
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

In the lower left hand corner of the pot there appears to be a white spot. If this is part of the cactus body, it could be E. subdenudata/hybrid. The Echinopsis subdenudata is a globular, almost spineless or with very short cream spines that produces splendid night-blooming, white fragrant flowers up to 22 cm long.
Jura

Post by Jura »

Oxygona seems like a very good shout.

I scratched it off because of the difference in flower.

Please see the body of it.
Attachments
20210717_165949.jpg
20210717_165949.jpg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

How spiny and which colour flowers you want!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ec ... BasicHover
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

I don't think that's E. oxygona. The flower is too small, a bit too ivory-coloured, the throat is too narrow and the petals too abruptly reflexed. I reckon it's a hybrid but not one good enough to name. It's the sort of thing you might get if one of your species plants set a fruit but you didn't know who the father was.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Agreed Phil, hybridity is always a problem with our plants, unless clonally propagated from offsets since I am not sure even the commercial seedsmen always take enough precautions to avoid open pollination in mixed collections. Also many collectors sow their own seeds without taking simple precautions to avoid open pollination of the plant from any other compatible species in the collection. Of course in habitat where the population is a single species then normal open pollination is desirable, but our collections are not like habitat and filled with just single species therefore hybridity cannot be ruled out unless precautions are taken to avoid insect and even wind pollination..

Our problem occurs when a plant gets open pollinated and so the seed is then hybrid but it or any plants raised from it are passed on under the name of the female parent that bore the fruit and seeds. Also though some species may be self fertile as a last resort, they will still outcross in preference given the opportunity. If they are self sterile "you need two to tango" and few of us have two of the same species which were not vegetatively produced clones. The plants should be covered before the bud opens or stigma is exerted from it and remain covered until after flowers have withered.

"Cover both cacti with nylon stockings to prevent pollination from other cactus plants. This is only necessary if you are trying to control the type of seed the plants develop. If your main goal is simply to get the cacti to produce fruit or seeds, leave the plants uncovered to encourage insects or the wind to help with further pollination."

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/pollinate ... 22464.html

I read where one botanist was complaining that random hybridity was now ruining ex-situ cultivation as a reserve for endangered species if they ever needed to be re-introduced.
Jura

Post by Jura »

Thank you so much for the information! Really appreciate!

Very interesting post about issues in regards to hybridity! More than likely I'll have this issue with few of my gymnos anyway they produced fruit without me meddling with it. Going to be interesting to see what comes out regardless 😊