how infraspecific taxa differ

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
arturo conan

how infraspecific taxa differ

Post by arturo conan »

after consulting here, read treatises on botany, internet, etc. I still don't know about infraspecific taxa.
Let's see if an expert can clarify it for me.for me it is very difficult to understand
THANK YOU
DaveW

Re: how infraspecific taxa differ

Post by DaveW »

Not sure what you are after Arturo? It was once said a species is what a competent botanists decides is a species! That would also apply to infraspecific (infra = below species) taxa. However who decides who is a competent botanist and just where you separate the taxa is merely a matter of personal opinion anyway.

Of course there are "Rules" as to how they are named. As you will have probably noted the term variety is dying out in Botany to be replaced by subspecies copied from zoology. The idea is that a species is different from other species and subspecific taxa have lesser differences from the taxon above as they reduce in rank.

See:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infraspecific_name
7george

Re: how infraspecific taxa differ

Post by 7george »

These differ for the eye of their discoverer or a describer by some or several morphological features. If we talk about the subspecies then usually geographical areas are different on the top of some differences in morphology, phenology and habitat occupation.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8