Rooting Epithelantha ?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
7george

Rooting Epithelantha ?

Post by 7george »

Has someone rooted Epithelantha cuttings or offsets successfully? I have an old plant with rotted base and roots that I cut off. Removed also a dozen of offsets but all of these look quite dehydrated so I'm not hoping for huge positive result but left those over some dry soil and will wait.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
anttisepp

Re: Rooting Epithelantha ?

Post by anttisepp »

Hadn't no problems with rooting them.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

I rooted a whole potful of 2 year seedlings which had lost all of their roots last summer.
Cut everything off and after healing, sat them on dry sand (maybe some very light misting on the odd hot day) until I saw some root initials.
After that they went back into a very bony, stony mix - the kind that they should have had in the first place. They all recovered well....
keith

Post by keith »

Epithelanthas I root them usually no problems , on sand with potting soil below. sometimes the roots they push up the stem instead of growing down so they have to be re potted.
7george

Post by 7george »

From the whole bunch of offsets I tried just 2 actually rooted, others dried out. Maybe these were too small or conditions too dry.
But I managed to graft some of them over Opuntia young pads. Epithelantha unguispina.
SAM_261eptlu.JPG
SAM_261eptlu.JPG (128.3 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8