Seedlings in cold temperatures

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
snyorega

Seedlings in cold temperatures

Post by snyorega »

I have dozens of seedlings from six species in a temperature controlled box. Now that they've all germinated and are 1-2 months old, I want to make room to germinate more seeds.

Can I move my seedlings into plastic bags in winter temperatures? The temp is fine for adult cactuses (5-10C), but I'm worried it will be too cold for the babies. Should I wait for higher temperatures in spring, or can seedlings survive the cool conditions?
MikeInOz

Re: Seedlings in cold temperatures

Post by MikeInOz »

I would not move them. But I would give extra light and air movement if it's low.
Last year I waited until November to sow. They grow much faster when it's hot and they easily catch up with the earlier ones.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They would go dormant at those temperatures, and they're too young for that. You might be able to keep them alive by keeping them just slightly damp, but the risk of loss would be high, and I'm sure it would set them back severely. I agree with MikeInOz, you should wait until warm weather to do that.
Spence :mrgreen:
snyorega

Post by snyorega »

OK, thanks guys.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

At 5-10C I don't think the seedlings will go dormant just slow growth rate. If the seedlings are still in humidity domes/baggies temps should be slightly higher. You will likely have some deaths due to the cold stress but they should grow fine with enough light
7george

Post by 7george »

It depends on how big seedling are, not how old. If not tiny in size these will tolerate dry conditions and also cold of 5-10C. I'd keep these indoors during first winter.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I think under 1 year old small seedlings is useful to grow at home at room temperature with grow / LED etc lamps providing more fast growth and ripening. Next year's winter they will easily stay with other big plants.