Pollinating Astrophytum

Create seed of your own
RichR

Pollinating Astrophytum

Post by RichR »

I have been having a very poor success rate when pollinating Astrophytums, particularly asterias and myriostigma. I don't think it's my technique because I am much more successful when it comes to pollinating other genera. Could it be that the flowers are just not producing pollen? My brush does not look like it has much, if any pollen on it when I brush it across the anthers.
MrXeric

Re: Pollinating Astrophytum

Post by MrXeric »

Maybe the pollen is not adhering to the brush. Pollen never adheres to any of the brushes I have on hand, so I just pull out some stamens with tweezers and rub the anthers all over the stigmas. I even gently tuck the anthers into the center of the stigmas.

Or, it could be you're trying to pollinate too soon after blooming? I noticed my Astros (especially asterias) have the anthers tucked in against the style and won't spread them out until a day later or so. In other cases, like my myriostigma hybrid, the lobes of the stigma are closed the first day and probably isn't receptive to pollen. My capricornes are ready to mingle within the same day of blooming, but those flowers only last a day, rarely two.
RichR

Re: Pollinating Astrophytum

Post by RichR »

Thanks, Mr. Xeric, I will try your suggestions next time.