Post your houseplants here

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
7george

Re: Post your houseplants here

Post by 7george »

Image Image

Do you toss Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) away soon after Christmas or you keep these longer, until it is possible?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

One Windowsill wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:44 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:37 am
rsz_2021-8-10_u_gibba_flowering_4.jpg
That is the kind of weirdness I like to see people growing. Stunning flowers as well.
That ceramic dish which contained the Utricularia gibba broke over winter. I transplanted the sand/peat mix into a plastic tray and it is outside now, but no sign yet of the Bladderwort. I'm having to wait to see if it comes back. Plenty of flower buds on my early Sarracenia pitcher plants. S. flava is one of the earliest. Brought them in last night as temps went down to 29F and I didn't want to chance it. My Venus Fly Traps are showing very early growth.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

I guess I am not the only one who have a Pilea peperomioides. Came over this and thought I would share it. It seems to be a Norwegian missionary who brought the plant to Europe.

http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/garde ... puzzle.htm
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I never posted a photo of my Carnivorous plants in the Sarracenia genus. I'll make up for it.

Just a comment for today: I was watering some other succulent Euphorbias with fertilizer water and got distracted and used the remaining gallon to water my CP! Big mistake! They should not see above 50 ppm TDS in their water. I know this solution is way above that (50 ppm N).

Emergency procedure: I poured out all of the water in the drainage tray, I poured all of the water out of the pitchers, for those that still had standing fertilizer water I poured that out too. Next I washed the drainage trays. Next I soaked with rain water and let drain to the ground. I'll soak again. They I'll put them back in their trays and fill them with new water.

Here are some generic Sarracenia purpurea, the Purple Pitcher Plant, which is native by me and all up and down the eastern US. Not sure how far west it goes-maybe only to the Mississippi River.
rsz 2017-8-1 Sarr. purpurea.jpg
rsz 2017-8-1 Sarr. purpurea.jpg (164.89 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Here is a natural hybrid between Sarracenia leucophylla and S. psittacina. It is called Scarlett Belle. It has really beautiful pitchers towards the fall. It is just starting into growth right now. This photo was taken on May 9, 2020 where we had an especially cold night and the water in the dish had frozen over by morning. That is pretty cold for this plant, as it originates in the Florida panhandle which is way warmer than by me.
rsz 2020-5-9 Sarr. Scarlett Belle frozen water.jpg
rsz 2020-5-9 Sarr. Scarlett Belle frozen water.jpg (158.93 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Nice carnivours Jerrytheplater! 🙂 Really interesting and beautiful plants but in my experience don’t do very well indoors. Had some outside a summer a few years back and they did very well ( and caught a lot of bumblebees).
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Mrs.Green wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:49 am Nice carnivours Jerrytheplater! 🙂 Really interesting and beautiful plants but in my experience don’t do very well indoors. Had some outside a summer a few years back and they did very well ( and caught a lot of bumblebees).
None of mine are indoors except for one Tropical sundew. I just bought a Mexican Butterwort and if it survives my care, it too will be indoors in the winter.

You might look into Nepenthes pitcher plants. They might grow well as houseplants, hanging from something. All sorts of climate requirements, so you can choose based on your conditions. Mountain types like it cooler.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:00 pm
Mrs.Green wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:49 am Nice carnivours Jerrytheplater! 🙂 Really interesting and beautiful plants but in my experience don’t do very well indoors. Had some outside a summer a few years back and they did very well ( and caught a lot of bumblebees).
None of mine are indoors except for one Tropical sundew. I just bought a Mexican Butterwort and if it survives my care, it too will be indoors in the winter.

You might look into Nepenthes pitcher plants. They might grow well as houseplants, hanging from something. All sorts of climate requirements, so you can choose based on your conditions. Mountain types like it cooler.

Thank you Jerrytheplater 🙂 I actually had a Nepenthes for several years, very nice plant and the pitchers definitly added to the attraction. Eventually it stopped producing pitchers and looked not as healthy as before. I suspect it should have been repotted at some point.