Grafted Euphorbia lactea ‘Cristata’

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Mrs.Green

Grafted Euphorbia lactea ‘Cristata’

Post by Mrs.Green »

I just bought this Euphorbia lactea ‘Cristata’ . As seen its grafted , on Euphorbia neriifolia I belive? Is this graft relatively shortlived as some other grafts or can I hope for a longer lifespan, if the plant(s) get proper care? Speaking of care..any advice to keep it happy? Would it be better to keep it in the livingroom, during winter rather than the cactusroom, were temperatures can drop to 10-12 degrees celsius on cold days.
Attachments
E0903675-CFC0-42DE-88E8-CC00451D45B5.jpeg
E0903675-CFC0-42DE-88E8-CC00451D45B5.jpeg (131.04 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
anttisepp

Re: Grafted Euphorbia lactea ‘Cristata’

Post by anttisepp »

Yes, Euphorbia neriifolia as a stock. Cristate is more beautiful on the stock and much easier to care.
Not short lived. Most of grafting live very long. I have 30-y. old grafted cacti in my collection.
Care is usual, much sun and NOT cold wintering, so room temps are OK.
Later you can cut a piece of cristate and try to root it if you want.
PS I'd change the soil and plant the stock much higher, cause now it stands very deep in the soil and space for roots is too small. Higher stock is more showy. Use supports/stick first time to prevent falling.
Last edited by anttisepp on Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

anttisepp wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:10 am Yes, Euphorbia neriifolia as a stock. Cristate is more beautiful on the stock and much easier to care.
Not short lived. Most of grafting live very long. I have 30-v old grafted cacti in my collection.
Care is usual, much sun and NOT cold wintering, so room temps are OK.
Later you can cut a piece of cristate and try to root it if you want.
Thank you very much Anttisepp! :D Great to know, I was afraid the grafted plant wouldn’t live very long. Thirty years!? Wow! Do you have a pic of this plant? :)
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

anttisepp wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:10 am
PS I'd change the soil and plant the stock much higher, cause now it stands very deep in the soil and space for roots is too small. Higher stock is more showy. Use supports/stick first time to prevent falling.
Thank you Anttisepp! :D I did repot it and more than half the stock was buried in the soil .The roots had no more than a couple of centimeters to grow in. Looks much better now :)
Attachments
A9230BEA-460F-4FD9-8CE2-04A8E3E4BC79.jpeg
A9230BEA-460F-4FD9-8CE2-04A8E3E4BC79.jpeg (103.58 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Great, looks very nice. Beautiful colouration. 👍
I have small one in light grey-blue colour.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

anttisepp wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:13 pm Great, looks very nice. Beautiful colouration. 👍
I have small one in light grey-blue colour.
Thank you very much Anttisepp :D Light grey-blue sounds very nice, I have seen from pics online that these seems to come in many colours. My plant is only variegated ( white) one one side. I am thinking it’s best to keep the variegated side out of the sun ( facing inwards) , to avoid sunburn?