Echinopsis hybrid acting strange

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
cactushobbyman

Echinopsis hybrid acting strange

Post by cactushobbyman »

To keep it simple, some of the clones do not have the same flower as the mother plant. The first photo is a picture of the mother plant flowers. This plant was given to me as an Echinopsis Stars and Stripes. The flowers are sawtooth and not the same color as Stars and Stripe. That is fine with me. The mother plant is the size of a cantaloupe.
:?:
Mother plant flowers
Mother plant flowers
dd.jpg (82.8 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
I have given several clones to other people and when they show me their pictures of the flowers they are correct to the mother plant. The next picture is from today. Shown in a 3.5" pot with several others around it. The size now is the size of a golf ball. Maybe three years removed from the mother plant.
clone
clone
c.jpg (84.43 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Next, another on blooming today.
clone
clone
b.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
clone
clone
cc.jpg (92.05 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
clone
clone
aa.jpg (81.3 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
These clones I know were labeled correctly. To add more information, I have one clone that flowered like the mother plant and another flower that looks like the second photo both on the same plant. I didn't take a photo when both flowers were in bloom, but it may flower again soon. I have numerous hybrids and never experienced anything like this going on.

8)
MikeInOz

Re: Echinopsis hybrid acting strange

Post by MikeInOz »

Could be a natural sport? Hybrids do funny things sometimes.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Bud sports can happen with any plant, hybrid or not. A lot of cultivars originated that way. If it remains stable with further cloning, this could become a new cultivar.
Spence :mrgreen:
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Update: The first three photos are from the same plant flowering this morning. This plant is an older clone. The last picture is from the plant shown in the 2nd picture posted earlier. Second time around it appears the flowers is showing both per say normal petal formation and the sawtooth look in the same flower. I know with crested and monstrose cactus you'll get a different appearance, but Echinopsis hybrids, the only variance I have seen is the size and color. Example, my Schick Hot Lips' flowers look the same year after year. This hybid flower is changing from one flowering event to the next. Thanks Greeknight and MikeInOz for your input. All my hybrids appear to be stable in the sense of flower formation. I guess Mother Nature wants to keep us on our toes when it comes to the true hybridizers of plants. :lol:
kk.jpg
kk.jpg (69.72 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
ll.jpg
ll.jpg (83.38 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
mm.jpg
mm.jpg (84.47 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
jj.jpg
jj.jpg (79.15 KiB) Viewed 1976 times

8)