3 id's Jardin Botanique de Foncaude (2)

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ohugal

3 id's Jardin Botanique de Foncaude (2)

Post by ohugal »

Hi Everyone,

I have some additional requests for cactus id's of my trip to the Botanical Garden of Foncaude. I tried to research as much as possible myself, but always end up doubting. Also, do some of you have experience with sending to pictures of cacti to llifle to add to their encyclopedia?

echinicereus nicholii?
ferocactus cylindraceus?
oreocereus celsianus?
Attachments
echinicereusnich kopie.JPG
echinicereusnich kopie.JPG (209.86 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
ferocactuscylindraceus2 kopie.JPG
ferocactuscylindraceus2 kopie.JPG (261.28 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
oreocereuscelsianus1 kopie.JPG
oreocereuscelsianus1 kopie.JPG (225.34 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
Mrs.Green

Re: 3 id's Jardin Botanique de Foncaude (2)

Post by Mrs.Green »

Stupid queation maybee, but if it’s a botanical garden, why don’t they have nametags on the plants?
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Mrs.Green wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:55 pm Stupid queation maybee, but if it’s a botanical garden, why don’t they have nametags on the plants?
It's a semi wild garden, so either they don't have them or the nametags are completely washed away or sun bleached. I tried to contact Dominique (the proprietor), but he's not answering so far. My local cactus club asked me to send in a short text on the garden and several images for their monthly publication. Do you think I'm asking for too much id's?
hardiness zone 8a
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

1st looks like some Helianthocereus aff huascha, 2nd difficult to recognize, better to see bigger foto of top (and with flowers) 3rd you're right.
IMHO
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Thanks anttisep. I will look into it further. There is a list with species on the website, but neither Echinicereus nor Helianthocereus are listed. http://lejardinbotaniquedefoncaude.e-mo ... entes.html When I google helianthocereus, I get results for Trichocereus Huascha and some specimens strongly resemble the one in my picture. I will look it up in my books later. Here are additional photos of the second one (including another similar specimen):
Attachments
ferocactuscylindraceus1 kopie 2.JPG
ferocactuscylindraceus1 kopie 2.JPG (254.94 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
ferocactuscylindraceus1 kopie.JPG
ferocactuscylindraceus1 kopie.JPG (225.85 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
ferocactuscylindraceus2 kopie 2.JPG
ferocactuscylindraceus2 kopie 2.JPG (168.19 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
hardiness zone 8a
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Ferocactus stainesii pilosus
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Thanks! I had some doubts with F. Cylindraceus because of the one slightly curved central spine. Llifle is great resource, but I wish there was a more user friendly way for going through the species and varieties.
Helianthocereus huascha seems to be synonym with Trichocereus huascha and Echinopsis huascha. Both genera are listed on the website of the botanical garden. I continued to browse Llifle and came across Echinocereus nicholii, which bears a very strong resemblance.
hardiness zone 8a
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

ohugal wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:30 pm
Mrs.Green wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:55 pm Stupid queation maybee, but if it’s a botanical garden, why don’t they have nametags on the plants?
It's a semi wild garden, so either they don't have them or the nametags are completely washed away or sun bleached. I tried to contact Dominique (the proprietor), but he's not answering so far. My local cactus club asked me to send in a short text on the garden and several images for their monthly publication. Do you think I'm asking for too much id's?
Semi wild as in not commercial? If so I can understand why there are no nametags.

‘Do you think I'm asking for too much id's?’ Here? No,no,not at all! :) I have not quite understood why some members are against ID requests. As long as you are polite ( say thank you ) , at least try a little on your own if you have basic knowledge and don’t use the forum for ID requests only, I can’t see the harm in asking? :)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Its not the number of Id's over time some object to, but how many are posted at once. A post of three id's a time is easier for people to digest and name than a string of say seven or eight pictures, since by the time you have scrolled down to the end you forget what the first one was so tend to not bother. That is of course counter productive for those wanting them named. In the past we have had some beginners posting pictures of virtually their whole collection in one go wanting identification and that is "overkill" since many able to identify them take a look at so many images and just switch off and don't bother.

Also don't ask for too many a week since you have plenty of time, so just spread them out three or so a time over a few weeks. When I say three identifications I don't always mean just three pictures since sometimes a couple of views of the same plant helps identification, but it is helpful if you limit the request to three species at a time.

Most of the forums members are always willing to help people identify plants as long as they don't overdue the number posted at once, or per week. Therefore it is in the interest of the poster to keep the number down to reasonable limits.

With posts for the enlightenment and enjoyment of others the number of images is immaterial as you are not asking for each to be identified, purely posting for others entertainment. Keep identification postings a reasonable length and duration and you will be more likely to get them correctly identified.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Mrs.Green wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:37 am
ohugal wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:30 pm
Semi wild as in not commercial? If so I can understand why there are no nametags.

‘Do you think I'm asking for too much id's?’ Here? No,no,not at all! :) I have not quite understood why some members are against ID requests. As long as you are polite ( say thank you ) , at least try a little on your own if you have basic knowledge and don’t use the forum for ID requests only, I can’t see the harm in asking? :)
It's not commercial.
Regarding the id's, it's not that easy if you don't have a lot of experience. I try to help others as well in their search, but some of the members are so fast and accurate in their replies it's difficult to 'compete'. I now permanently have several cactus books next to my computer on the (very small) dining table. :lol:
hardiness zone 8a