Need advice on multiheaded Strombo

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Jangaudi

Need advice on multiheaded Strombo

Post by Jangaudi »

Hi all,
I'm trying to decide what to do with this multiheaded Strombo. Any idea how this cactus might develop later on in this state ? I'm not sure...
So I consider trying to graft these heads. Am I right to assume the base will just regrow new heads later on ? Or you guys think I should not touch it ?
Any thoughts ?
IMG20210908160843.jpg
IMG20210908160843.jpg (221.9 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
7george

Re: Need advice on multiheaded Strombo

Post by 7george »

Nice plant. I'd keep it this way at least for now. Do you need more (grafted) plants in your collection?

Small seedlings branch this way after some damage occur at their growth point for some reason. And many cacti growers try hard to induce offsets on their generally non-branching plants as Strombocacti are...
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Jangaudi

Re: Need advice on multiheaded Strombo

Post by Jangaudi »

7george wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:21 pm Nice plant. I'd keep it this way at least for now. Do you need more (grafted) plants in your collection?

Small seedlings branch this way after some damage occur at their growth point for some reason. And many cacti growers try hard to induce offsets on their generally non-branching plants as Strombocacti are...
Well you do have a point...as I have a batch of strombo seedlings, I've decided to take one of those dangling behind the rest, and hope I can speed up its growth. I actually am not a big fan of grafting for aesthetic reasons, though I did graft some variegated seedlings before to keep them alive, I decided to add some others to get them going a bit faster. I recently opened a micro business like, "plants & art", so I have a reason for it now :D. But then to degraft later.
The multiheaded strombo can do what it wants for now ;) I actually saw another in the batch that grew a new head on top of the old one. It's weird that 2 seedlings are doing this. They did grow unsually fast for strombos, even though I haven't given them steroids ;)