Rust fungus?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Barrason

Rust fungus?

Post by Barrason »

This cactus has been having these brown spots recently. They have increased in number. The plant is grown in a cold Frame year round along with other cacti and succulents which are doing well. Hasn't had water since September 23rd. The image quality is poor but hopefully you will be able to see the spots.
Attachments
Cactus.png
Cactus.png (290.01 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Cactus 1.png
Cactus 1.png (308.61 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Cactus 2.png
Cactus 2.png (293.33 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Last edited by Barrason on Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillinger

Re: Rust fungus?

Post by gillinger »

My opuntia has the same problem. Also not watered since the end of September. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious so would also be interested in a diagnosis.
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

I have had this problem. Put your plants in full sun. Spray them with Alcohol and Hydrogen peroxide. Try to keep them out of the rain.
Barrason

Post by Barrason »

Is the disease fatal and will the spots scar if treated? I have isolated the diseased plant. I also had this issue last year so I've been ventilating the cold Frame more this winter.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

I don't believe it will "scar" but it will leave red marks however. There's really not much that you can do. Eventually the plant will outgrow the orange marks, and it will flake off.
Download

Post by Download »

Barrason wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:27 pm Is the disease fatal and will the spots scar if treated? I have isolated the diseased plant. I also had this issue last year so I've been ventilating the cold Frame more this winter.
In my experience the Rust usually stops when the humidity drops.

Where I live we a Mediterranean-style hot dry summer and wet winter. In winter, even though I put my cacti under cover, some will still get rust growing on them (One of my O microdasys like yours, some Ferocacti and most of my Echinocacti). But as soon as it starts getting dry in spring, it stops. Doesn't mean I like it though and it does scar the cacti.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Too cold and humid during winter is my bet.
Barrason

Post by Barrason »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:13 am I don't believe it will "scar" but it will leave red marks however. There's really not much that you can do. Eventually the plant will outgrow the orange marks, and it will flake off.
It died and the top part was all mushy inside. It was beyond saving and I'm glad I isolated it before the disease could spread to my other plants.