Cleistocactus Weberi?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Hero878

Cleistocactus Weberi?

Post by Hero878 »

So glad that this forum is back up and running thank you!
Someone gave me a cutting from their mother plant of this cactus because I really liked it, it reminded me of the monkey tail cactus and I really like how it grows straight outwards sticking out like that. It was labelled as Cleistocactus Weberi however i can't find any notes on this cactus online. Perhaps it's under a different name. If anyone knows that would be great.
The cactus is very soft to the touch and has white hairs. The colour of the body is a kind of lime green in colour.
Below are photos of my cutting and the mother plant. If you click on the thumbnails it will link to a larger photo
Image Image

Just another one. I got this at a garden centre recently thinking it's a Melocactus but now I'm not so sure. Can anyone confirm if it is a Melocactus please? Obviously may have to wait until the Celphalium grows to know what type.
Image Image
gillinger

Re: Cleistocactus Weberi?

Post by gillinger »

Definitely Melocactus but someone's stuck fake flowers to them. Could do to be repotted.😄
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

gillinger wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:21 pm Definitely Melocactus but someone's stuck fake flowers to them. Could do to be repotted.😄
Thank you! So glad to hear that it is a Melocactus as that was what I was after but was doubting myself whether it was.
Yes I removed those glued on flowers :) I used to think these glued on flowers were real and was very impressed when they never died lol
7george

Post by 7george »

Not only glued flowers. These two pictured melocacti have serious rot at the base. Don't buy those, choose some healthy plant(s).
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

To me they look a bit over watered, and under potted. I agree with 7george.
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Thanks for the further replies. It was the only two plants left so I thought I'd risk it for £4.40. The soil was soaking wet and I removed all the soil and let it dry out for 2 weeks.
A proportion of the cactus seems to be missing at the bottom probably due to rot but it looks like it has healed and isn't mushy. I've repotted into a bigger pot and hope it continues to grow. I think it might be a M Matanzanus but will see :)
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

£4.40!😳 Wow, that's a bargain!
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

gillinger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:46 pm £4.40!😳 Wow, that's a bargain!
Thanks it was £5.99 but I got the discount to £4.49 as I pointed out the damage. Just shopping around really and some garden centres don't mark up so much like the online stores or the trendy plant shops in town and city centres.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

I would say, in recent days, the quality of the potting media that nurseries use is going down hill. Now, I've seen a mix of 70:30 peat moss to perlite. There's nothing wrong with this potting mix, just that they tend to overwater their plants.
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:35 pm I would say, in recent days, the quality of the potting media that nurseries use is going down hill. Now, I've seen a mix of 70:30 peat moss to perlite. There's nothing wrong with this potting mix, just that they tend to overwater their plants.
Yeah seems that pitting mix is fine at the growers before they get sent to the garden centres where they over water. I always repot mine with my own mix after anyway :)
Seems no one knows about the Cleistocactus, I'll ask the person who gave it me when I next see him. I just love how funky it looks growing outwards like that conpared to other Cleistocactus. Can't wait to see what the blooms look like.