Gymnocalycium, Echinopsis and "Eulychnia"

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Download

Gymnocalycium, Echinopsis and "Eulychnia"

Post by Download »

A mystery Gymnocalycium that I purchased off another collector, that was tagged G siggezianum.

Unknown Echinopsis?

I previously asked about this here. The seeds were sold to me as "Eulychnia species", but the pictured mother plant is apparently wrong. I now have some actual seedlings however and what I've got looks even less Eulychnia-like. I'd say Echinopsis, but the mother plant's flowers are really wrong for that.

phil_SK

Re: Gymnocalycium, Echinopsis and "Eulychnia"

Post by phil_SK »

Lobivia schieliana, is the red-flowered plant.
Download

Post by Download »

For the "Eulychnia", what do people think of Echinopsis cephalomcacrostibas? The image in the guide looks pretty similar and elsewhere I've managed to find a picture of the flowers, which are very tubular. The only issue is the flower colour.

It makes me think that E cephalomcacrostibas may be one of those very under researched cacti that should be in a different genus.
7george

Post by 7george »

The first one looks like one misread or a mislabeled Gymnocalycium sutterianum or G. sigelianum, that are pretty much variants of Gymnocalycium capillaense by my opinion.

I also have some similar mystery plants.
Gym_6028.JPG
Gym_6028.JPG (148.17 KiB) Viewed 634 times
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Download

Post by Download »

7george wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:53 am The first one looks like one misread or a mislabeled Gymnocalycium sutterianum or G. sigelianum, that are pretty much variants of Gymnocalycium capillaense by my opinion.

I also have some similar mystery plants.
Gym_6028.JPG
That certains looks right to me.

Cheers.