Hana's seedlings in 2022

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Hanazono

Hana's seedlings in 2022

Post by Hanazono »

I sowed small number of seeds, just 1 species in 3 pots in this year.
Seeds were Ariocarpus fissuratus cv Godzzila. Seeds were sown in 10 cm square pots on 3rd January.
I normally use a heating pad for the germination process but it was natural completely in this time.
The attached photo is one of pots.
Attachments
A. fissuratus cv Godzzila
A. fissuratus cv Godzzila
IMG_1583 - Copy.JPG (191.73 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Lactus

Re: Hana's seedlings in 2022

Post by Lactus »

Love this species! They look happy
MiguelCactus

Post by MiguelCactus »

Greetings,

I just enter the forum but I binge read all the info that you have been writting in the forum all these years and I am amazed about your knowledge and I have to thank you for taking time for share all your experience here with everybody. If I may I like to make a couple of questions, I have been sowing seeds for the last couple of years and I have some difficulties with some species:

1) I saw that you tend to keep your seedling in closed environments for a lot of time even years, I like this approach and I experienced myself that some genuses love this method (e.g. Turbinicarpus or Astrophytum love to be for months and years in the baggie in my case). But in my experience for this kind of media it is useful to have really minear soil mixes and clean media. Do you sterilize the soil and seeds? Did you ever try 100% mineral soil mixes? (I tried pure sand with good results)

2) In other post you mentioned that you collect fresh seeds from your own plants. In my experience some genuses need an extra maturing time after collecting the dry fruits (e.g. I made experiments with Ephitelantha micromeris and the germination rate improved with more mature seeds). Do you give any special treatment to your seeds after collecting the fruts, specially in some low germinating rate species (Sclerocactus and other hard shell seeds)?

3) I observed that there are some species that hate being in closed environments (Saguaros, Coryohanthas, Glandulicactus, etc.), Have you ever noticed any difficulty sowing with your method in that sense, species that tend to rot rapidly after germinating? Are there any species that you germinate differently in open environments? Besides Ariocarpus and in a more general sense, when do you recomend to open the close environment of your seedlings?

4) What do you make for deal with pests? I am prone to completely remove the soil when I see an infestation of gnats for example but it is a pretty severe method.

As you can see I am pretty newbie in this world of sowing cacti seed by I am a total enthusiast. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

- Miguel
"A cada paso que damos se nos recuerda que en modo alguno gobernamos la naturaleza como un conquistador"
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Miguel,

The followings are my answers for your questions:
1) I saw that you tend to keep your seedling in closed environments for a lot of time even years, I like this approach and I experienced myself that some genuses love this method (e.g. Turbinicarpus or Astrophytum love to be for months and years in the baggie in my case). But in my experience for this kind of media it is useful to have really minear soil mixes and clean media. Do you sterilize the soil and seeds? Did you ever try 100% mineral soil mixes? (I tried pure sand with good results)
I have never tried 100% mineral soil mix. I keep seedlings at least one year in the germinated pot. Seedlings need some organic material in the soil to grow 1st year which is the critical for the following growing.
I do not sterilize the soil. I use a fungicide.
Spray over potting soil before sowing seeds and spray agin after sowed seeds which means both soil and seeds were sprayed.
2~4 mm size top dressing which can minimize fungi formation.
2) In other post you mentioned that you collect fresh seeds from your own plants. In my experience some genuses need an extra maturing time after collecting the dry fruits (e.g. I made experiments with Ephitelantha micromeris and the germination rate improved with more mature seeds). Do you give any special treatment to your seeds after collecting the fruts, specially in some low germinating rate species (Sclerocactus and other hard shell seeds)?
I sow seeds in July by using a heating pad, which is mid of winter in here.
Cactus seeds is harvested in summer. Seeds are kept in a fridge until next winter. All seeds are fresh but they are not sown immediately after harvested. Only E. horizonthalonius is used old seeds.
E. micromeris shows a very good germination rate by my standard method.
3) I observed that there are some species that hate being in closed environments (Saguaros, Coryohanthas, Glandulicactus, etc.), Have you ever noticed any difficulty sowing with your method in that sense, species that tend to rot rapidly after germinating? Are there any species that you germinate differently in open environments? Besides Ariocarpus and in a more general sense, when do you recomend to open the close environment of your seedlings?
After the completion of germination process by using a heating pad for 2 weeks in standard, seedlings are moved into a large plastic box.
Cactus seedling growing speed is slow normally but I accelerate the speed in the box.
Weak sunlight and high humidity can give higher growing seed for cactus seedlings, especially Ariocarpus seedlings.
I use this special method for seedlings.
It depends upon species but Ariocarpus seedlings stay in the box for 5 years.
4) What do you make for deal with pests? I am prone to completely remove the soil when I see an infestation of gnats for example but it is a pretty severe method.
I have never experienced pests problems with young seedlings. Young seedlings are in a box with a rid.

Frank
MiguelCactus

Post by MiguelCactus »

Thanks Frank for your answer, it is fantastic to keep learning.

I will try to comment directly on your reply:
I have never tried 100% mineral soil mix. I keep seedlings at least one year in the germinated pot. Seedlings need some organic material in the soil to grow 1st year which is the critical for the following growing.
I do not sterilize the soil. I use a fungicide.
Spray over potting soil before sowing seeds and spray agin after sowed seeds which means both soil and seeds were sprayed.
2~4 mm size top dressing which can minimize fungi formation.
Yeah, I observed that after the first months the growing of seedlings started to slow down and then I had to apply fertilizers to keep encouraging growing with 100% mineral soil. Also, my pure sand mix tend to agregate and solidify, now I make a soil mix with coarse sand, scoria and organic mater in a 90-10, or 80-20 ratio. Here in Spain is pretty common Aliette as a fungicide but still some batches have had fungi attacks in the past.
I sow seeds in July by using a heating pad, which is mid of winter in here.
Cactus seeds is harvested in summer. Seeds are kept in a fridge until next winter. All seeds are fresh but they are not sown immediately after harvested. Only E. horizonthalonius is used old seeds.
E. micromeris shows a very good germination rate by my standard method.
That's really important, so when your seedlings reach their first winter they have already one year of growing. In my case I sow in spring-summer periods and then I keep them in a plastic box all winter and they survive pretty well but completely stops their growth. Do you use any special heating pad? What temperature is your goal? In other post you mentioned that you keep your seedlings in a greenhouse but I understand that it is a coldframe one, so probably you get cold temperature in winter nights right?
After the completion of germination process by using a heating pad for 2 weeks in standard, seedlings are moved into a large plastic box.
Cactus seedling growing speed is slow normally but I accelerate the speed in the box.
Weak sunlight and high humidity can give higher growing seed for cactus seedlings, especially Ariocarpus seedlings.
I use this special method for seedlings.
It depends upon species but Ariocarpus seedlings stay in the box for 5 years.
I have some 3 years old seedlings of Ariocarpus and thanks to your recomendations I move them to a more shady area and I should move them to the plastic box, one or two of them died dehydrated in the winter so probably I have treated them to harshly.

Regards,

- Miguel
"A cada paso que damos se nos recuerda que en modo alguno gobernamos la naturaleza como un conquistador"
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Miguel,
Do you use any special heating pad? What temperature is your goal? In other post you mentioned that you keep your seedlings in a greenhouse but I understand that it is a coldframe one, so probably you get cold temperature in winter nights right?
I do not use any heating pads after the germination was completed.
Yes it is a cold frame.
The temperature in the box in the morning before sunrise is 5 'C in mid of winter.
A capillary mat is laid on the bottom of the box to keep moisture.
I move them to a more shady area and I should move them to the plastic box, one or two of them died dehydrated in the winter so probably I have treated them to harshly.
Degree of shady is hard to say.
You can control shade degree. You have maintain seedling colour as "Green". If you could not maintain, seedlins decrease the growing speed or stop growing. For your in formation, I attached a photo which is seedlings of Ariocarpus. I try to keep this colour.

Frank
Attachments
Ariocarpus seedlings
Ariocarpus seedlings
DSC_1087 - Copy.JPG (129.71 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
MiguelCactus

Post by MiguelCactus »

Hi Frank

Wow, thanks for the photos and all the relevant info! Those Ariocarpus look amazing.

Regards,

- Miguel
MiguelCactus

Post by MiguelCactus »

Hi Frank

If I May ask, I have more questions to you.

1. How do you expose the seedlings to open conditions outside the humid box?
2. How frequently do you water the humid box?
3. During winters after germination do you use the heating pad?
4. How often do you fertilize your plants?
5. Can you explain your breeding process to select different characteristics of different plants (e.g. mother to father crossings)

Regards,

- Miguel
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Miguel,
1. How do you expose the seedlings to open conditions outside the humid box?
Seedlings are large enough to repot normally when they come out from the humid box.
The are repotted into 5 cm square tubes. 35 seedlings can be accommodated on a plastic pad.
The pad is covered by a 50% shade cloth.
2. How frequently do you water the humid box?
I just water when a capillay mat is dried. It depends upon the size of box but I water about every 2 months.
3. During winters after germination do you use the heating pad?
I do not. The minimum temperature is around 5 C' which is not necessary a heater.
4. How often do you fertilize your plants?
I do not fertilize cacti except grafted ones.
5. Can you explain your breeding process to select different characteristics of different plants (e.g. mother to father crossings)
It is a general idea which body appearence comes from father and fower appearence comes from mother.
The above is just a general idea. It has never happened same as the idea in my experience.
Asterias can not receive any other species pollen. It only can be a father.
( father: supply pollen, mother: receive pollen )

Frank
MiguelCactus

Post by MiguelCactus »

Thank you very much Frank for all the info.

I think that I should use a capillary mat, your results are amazing!