Red mutant A myriostigma var. nudum?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Download

Red mutant A myriostigma var. nudum?

Post by Download »

I bought some Astrophytum seeds last year that the seller called "Mario Kikko". I've not found anything on the cultivar, but I have found some on Kikko Astros? So maybe it's a hybrid.

Anyway, one of them started growing red for a while but seems to have stopped/reduced? I've been trying to find out about mutant colour variants of Astrophytums but there seems to be not much info on it.

I've seen some people saying it's only temporary and there's no guarantee it will produce red in the future, but that doesn't sound right as Gymno colour mutants don't seem to have that issue and I don't see any reason why it would only apply to them and not Gymnos. I was hoping someone might weigh in on the matter.
DaveW

Re: Red mutant A myriostigma var. nudum?

Post by DaveW »

Seems to be very variable?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0

You can never be sure of getting a cultivar from seed, only by vegetative propagation. However you may get something similar or even a more desirable novelty from seed.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=as ... soverlay=1
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

That's probably just a typo for Myrio, not Mario, look for Astrophytum myriostigma kikko koh-yoh
Alejandro
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

An Astrophytum named after mario. =D> :shock: :lol: :lol: As A_G_R says it's probably a Myriostigma Kohyo.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I think A_G_R and Aeonium2003 are correct. The cacti on the photo are Astrophytum myriostigma v nudum cv kikko, khoyo.
Since these cacti are very young, they have not shown the character of kikko yet. I hope they showed the character in future.

I think red colour comes from the character of khoyo.
There are various colour variations on the khoyo character such as yellow, orange, red and chocolate.
Since the winter of Adelaide is not cold enough, you may not be able to see a good colour.

The photo is my Astrophytum myriostigma v nudum cv kikko, khoyo, 9 cm in diameter.
This cactus has started to show the character of kikko. I took the photo in this morning.
Attachments
A. myriostigma v nudum cv kikko, khoyo
A. myriostigma v nudum cv kikko, khoyo
IMG_1607 - Copy.JPG (103.89 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
My favorite cacti photos are in Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/146109677@N06/albums/
Download

Post by Download »

Hanazono wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:28 pm I think A_G_R and Aeonium2003 are correct. The cacti on the photo are Astrophytum myriostigma v nudum cv kikko, khoyo.
Since these cacti are very young, they have not shown the character of kikko yet. I hope they showed the character in future.

I think red colour comes from the character of khoyo.
There are various colour variations on the khoyo character such as yellow, orange, red and chocolate.
Since the winter of Adelaide is not cold enough, you may not be able to see a good colour.

The photo is my Astrophytum myriostigma v nudum cv kikko, khoyo, 9 cm in diameter.
This cactus has started to show the character of kikko. I took the photo in this morning.
What sort of temps are needed?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Hi Download,
I do not know exact temperature but you need snowfall.

I described "You can not see a GOOD colour" but you can see a special body colour which does not meet the original character.
One of you cacti shown on the photo is a myriostigma v nudum cv red bean khoyo and showing summer appearence.
The growing point is returning to green.

I do not know your growing conditions but they all should be same body colour.

Frank
My favorite cacti photos are in Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/146109677@N06/albums/
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Every plant raised, even from a single seedpod and a single pollination, is a different individual. Just like brothers or sisters unless identical twins. Only one individual raised from the original seedpod can really bear that cultivar name, all the rest can be considered different and if required given a different cultivar name. Therefore only vegetative propagations can truly bear that original cultivars name.

A quote on cultivar Orchids from the web:-

"But the only plants that can bear the ‘Divinity’ cultivar are those which are genetically identical to the original ‘Divinity’ orchid when it was first named: either vegetative divisions of the original plant, or cellular clones of the original plant."

Therefore some claim never for plants from seed grown from it. However a group of similarly propagated plants often gets identified with the same name as the original cultivar, but when they can be considered uniformly the same is a matter of opinion because many consider the Orchid example is the correct definition.

Few who name plants seem to know that just like the International Code for naming species there is an International Code for naming cultivars.

https://biocyclopedia.com/index/icncp.php
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Hanazono wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:28 pm
Beautiful! 👍
Download

Post by Download »

Hanazono wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:05 am Hi Download,
I do not know exact temperature but you need snowfall.

I described "You can not see a GOOD colour" but you can see a special body colour which does not meet the original character.
One of you cacti shown on the photo is a myriostigma v nudum cv red bean khoyo and showing summer appearence.
The growing point is returning to green.

I do not know your growing conditions but they all should be same body colour.

Frank
That's pretty strange, given that plant started showing red when the seedlings were inside in a heated year-round grow box.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'evening Download,
That's pretty strange, given that plant started showing red when the seedlings were inside in a heated year-round grow box.
I have experienced to propagate A. myriostigma v nudum cv kikko, khoyo from seeds. It was not so many around 200 seedlings.

Seedlings were kept a warm wet box. They all turned to red colour no exception.
It was red but it was not GOOD red. Since seedlings turn the body colour, you can confirm the gene of khoyo in early stage.

I have kept around 50 of flowering size khoyo but they all are not GOOD colour.

Frank