Anybody else here love the epiphytes? Which are your favorites?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
CactusBoss

Anybody else here love the epiphytes? Which are your favorites?

Post by CactusBoss »

I only have epiphytes cause I’m almost certain desert cacti wouldn’t do well inside my home.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
jerrytheplater

Re: Anybody else here love the epiphytes? Which are your favorites?

Post by jerrytheplater »

If you also like succulents, check out Euphorbia decaryi, E. cylindrifolia, and others related. They will do well indoors under lights. And they don't want it cold ever. They do not like full sun outdoors. I have to keep mine in summer in an eastern facing exposure so they don't get sun after 11 AM.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:24 am If you also like succulents, check out Euphorbia decaryi, E. cylindrifolia, and others related. They will do well indoors under lights. And they don't want it cold ever. They do not like full sun outdoors. I have to keep mine in summer in an eastern facing exposure so they don't get sun after 11 AM.
Oh I like the look of that. Also should probably consider Haworthias maybe
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Can confirm. I have a E. decayri. I got it from jangaudi (a member of this forum). Beautiful succulent and seems to be doing very well in our bedroom.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I'm partial to Hatiora rosea, a small pink-flowered Easter cactus which has red edges on the stem segments.
Spence :mrgreen:
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

greenknight wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:52 am I'm partial to Hatiora rosea, a small pink-flowered Easter cactus which has red edges on the stem segments.
I’m currently looking for an a Easter cactus(can’t find one not online). Also I suppose those are in Schlumbergera now
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

CactusBoss wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:45 pm
greenknight wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:52 am I'm partial to Hatiora rosea, a small pink-flowered Easter cactus which has red edges on the stem segments.
I’m currently looking for an a Easter cactus(can’t find one not online). Also I suppose those are in Schlumbergera now
No - Hatiora gaertneri, the more common Easter cactus, was formerly listed in Shlumbergera, and can still be found under that name. H. rosea was formerly listed in Rhipsalis or Rhisalidopsis. The current thinking is that both belong in Hatiora.

There's also a hybrid between the two, Hatiora x graeseri, which is very free-flowering, different cultivars have pink, red or white flowers.
Spence :mrgreen:
leland

Post by leland »

I live in the tropics where native species are available. E. rubrocoronatum and E. thomasianum are among my favorites although I was amazed at how big E. thom grew in my poly tunnel. Even the basics like rhipsalis can be charming in hanging baskets.

You might want to check out the youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT7OFN ... eT1IJSPCkg
She seems to have good luck with indoor growing in the north.