S. truncata 4-5 feet away from west window or inches away from north window during the summer months. Which is better?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
CactusBoss

S. truncata 4-5 feet away from west window or inches away from north window during the summer months. Which is better?

Post by CactusBoss »

I’ve got a bit of a dilemma coming up soon

I live in a ground floor 1500sq foot apartment that has two west windows that also function as doors and a north window. The west window/door in the bedroom is never opened so that only functions as a window. It’s full of plants over there so there’s no more room. The other west window functions entirely as a window until outdoor gardening season. This is where my S. truncata resides. So starting around April I have two options for my truncata. I can either move it 4-5 feet back from the west window or I can have it inches away from a north window. Which option is better? I do have some cheap LED supplemental grow lights in the west window so that might factor in
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
jerrytheplater

Re: S. truncata 4-5 feet away from west window or inches away from north window during the summer months. Which is bette

Post by jerrytheplater »

I have a Christmas cactus in a west window here in Northern NJ, USA. It is red in the leaves pretty much constantly due to too much light. It grows behind a sheer curtain and is about 12" away from the window.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
CactusBoss

Re: S. truncata 4-5 feet away from west window or inches away from north window during the summer months. Which is bette

Post by CactusBoss »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:31 am I have a Christmas cactus in a west window here in Northern NJ, USA. It is red in the leaves pretty much constantly due to too much light. It grows behind a sheer curtain and is about 12" away from the window.
So basically either of these options would be okay? There is also a slight bit of light blockage(tree, and the balcony of the apartment above) at my west window but not a whole lot
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

The north window might work. You'll just have to watch your plant and see what it does. No way to hang it in a tree during the summer? Might help.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:45 am The north window might work. You'll just have to watch your plant and see what it does. No way to hang it in a tree during the summer? Might help.
Unfortunately no because the tree isn’t mine. I have noticed that these are probably one of the cacti best suited for a bit lower light than even most of the other epiphytes(I think?). If the north is too little I can also move it back to 4-5 feet from the west window. Just maybe not have the grow lights on it
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I agree with Jerry.

I've had them do well in a north-facing window, but there was the white wall of another house 20' away that added reflected light.
Spence :mrgreen:
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

greenknight wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:01 am I agree with Jerry.

I've had them do well in a north-facing window, but there was the white wall of another house 20' away that added reflected light.
I’ll see how it does there and if I need to move it I will. It should do fine a bit back from a west window too right? Right now my north window in winter is about 150-200 foot candles while my west(right next to it) is about 700-1000 at max(not counting direct sun in late afternoon). I imagine these values will be stronger in the summer
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

CactusBoss; I don’t know if my experienses with S.truncata will help you much..but anyway. I have had truncatas for some years, I would guess the oldest ones are 7-8 years.
Some in the bathroom ( the oldest ones) , some in the kitchen and one in the livingroom. The ones in the bathroom are placed on the windowsill ( westfacing window) Since we don’t think the neighbours would like to see us in our birthday suit, the window is covered with a film that blurs the sight.
I would guess that that keeps a bit of the light out too. The ceiling light is the only artificial light in this room. The room is totally dark for about 6-8 hours in the winter, each day. The bathroom is seldom heated, only when it’s quite cold outside, from -15 degrees celsius and below. This gives quite low temperatures on the windowsill and in the room. On the coldest days not very far from freezing tempetatures on the windowsill , I would guess.

The bathroom plants starts flowering in november, they are the first one out. The kitchen plants are placed about 25-30 cm. from the window (east facing) gets quite a bit filtered sunlight in the summer and about 8-10 hours artificial light from a ceiling lamp all year round exept summertime. The temperature is a bit higher here and varies from 14-18 in winter . These flowers around january/february.

Only one plant in the livingroom. This hangs close to a east facing window but is sheltered by a curtain. About the same temperature as in the kitchen in winter. Hangs quite close to a ceiling lamp. 8-10 hours artificial light ( from the ceiling lamp) every day, except summertime. This one has just started flowering, all the flowers/buds are on the brightest side. The side facing a darker corner has no buds.

We have long and dark winters here, with short days, as in little daylight and no sun for two to tree months, depending on the weather.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

Mrs.Green wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:55 pm CactusBoss; I don’t know if my experienses with S.truncata will help you much..but anyway. I have had truncatas for some years, I would guess the oldest ones are 7-8 years.
Some in the bathroom ( the oldest ones) , some in the kitchen and one in the livingroom. The ones in the bathroom are placed on the windowsill ( westfacing window) Since we don’t think the neighbours would like to see us in our birthday suit, the window is covered with a film that blurs the sight.
I would guess that that keeps a bit of the light out too. The ceiling light is the only artificial light in this room. The room is totally dark for about 6-8 hours in the winter, each day. The bathroom is seldom heated, only when it’s quite cold outside, from -15 degrees celsius and below. This gives quite low temperatures on the windowsill and in the room. On the coldest days not very far from freezing tempetatures on the windowsill , I would guess.

The bathroom plants starts flowering in november, they are the first one out. The kitchen plants are placed about 25-30 cm. from the window (east facing) gets quite a bit filtered sunlight in the summer and about 8-10 hours artificial light from a ceiling lamp all year round exept summertime. The temperature is a bit higher here and varies from 14-18 in winter . These flowers around january/february.

Only one plant in the livingroom. This hangs close to a east facing window but is sheltered by a curtain. About the same temperature as in the kitchen in winter. Hangs quite close to a ceiling lamp. 8-10 hours artificial light ( from the ceiling lamp) every day, except summertime. This one has just started flowering, all the flowers/buds are on the brightest side. The side facing a darker corner has no buds.

We have long and dark winters here, with short days, as in little daylight and no sun for two to tree months, depending on the weather.
They sound like they do fairy well in lowish light
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
7george

Post by 7george »

I'd divide that plant in two or buy a second one and will try both locations. My windowsills are full of pots as the close vicinity to windows so I constantly move pots during seasons trying to catch the best light.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You could also start some cuttings in small pots (they root easily) so you can try them out in different locations to see how they respond. They will even bloom in 2.5" pots in their second year. Looks kind of strange, they may just have one or two flowers, but they're full size flowers.
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

greenknight wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:04 am You could also start some cuttings in small pots (they root easily) so you can try them out in different locations to see how they respond. They will even bloom in 2.5" pots in their second year. Looks kind of strange, they may just have one or two flowers, but they're full size flowers.
Plant is pretty small actually. I do have an S buckleyi cutting through from my Christmas cactus. Not exactly the same plant but close enough I think
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

CactusBoss wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:05 pm
greenknight wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:04 am You could also start some cuttings in small pots (they root easily) so you can try them out in different locations to see how they respond. They will even bloom in 2.5" pots in their second year. Looks kind of strange, they may just have one or two flowers, but they're full size flowers.
Plant is pretty small actually. I do have an S buckleyi cutting through from my Christmas cactus. Not exactly the same plant but close enough I think
Close enough, they take identical conditions.