Some of my epiphytes

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
CactusBoss

Some of my epiphytes

Post by CactusBoss »

I only have epiphytic cacti and here are some of them

https://imgur.com/gallery/LewjKPU

I will continue to add to this
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
Aeonium2003

Re: Some of my epiphytes

Post by Aeonium2003 »

=D> Nice start!
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:22 pm =D> Nice start!
Not pictured are an Epiphyllum hybrid(whatever that is), Rhipsalis rhombea, a frost damaged Epiphyllum chrysocardium, some more cuttings of S truncata and S buckleyi, and then an Easter cactus that supposed to get here next week as long as nothing goes wrong(ordered it from one state above me). I couldn’t find one of those anywhere around me for some reason. If you know where to find those in northern Illinois I’d like to know
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

I'm holding off from buying plants right now. The nurseries include a heating pack, but somehow it wasn't activated. ](*,) #-o
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:04 am I'm holding off from buying plants right now. The nurseries include a heating pack, but somehow it wasn't activated. ](*,) #-o
Only reason I’m doing this is because where I’m getting it from, they don’t ship unless the weather is good enough and they’re only one state above me. Also the express shipping. Otherwise I wouldn’t do this
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:04 am I'm holding off from buying plants right now. The nurseries include a heating pack, but somehow it wasn't activated. ](*,) #-o
Those packs require moisture to work properly. Inside is a bunch of iron powder, salt, and activated carbon. Add water from humidity and the iron rusts and releases heat. It helps to wrap a moist paper towel around them if it is dry when trying to use them. We add them to our coolers when winter camping to keep our eggs, bacon, etc from freezing overnight. When being used to ship cacti, they could put the wrapped heat pack in a sealed plastic bag to keep the moisture off of the plants.

Here's a link for a further explanation: https://socratic.org/questions/how-do-hot-packs-work
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.