Growing advice for cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Hero878

Growing advice for cactus

Post by Hero878 »

I've had two rot so I was wondering if these require particular care? Just got a new one yesterday I don't want it to rot too.
One tip I heard was to put a top layer of gravel so the edges of the cactus does not touch the wet surface of the soil after watering as it could rot with the cresting being low to the top soil.

Thank you
Last edited by Hero878 on Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohugal

Re: Growing advice for crested Cleistocactus Strausii

Post by ohugal »

What type of soil do you have now? It's true about the layer of gravel, but don't put it on the existing soil before you know what type of soil it is. The gravel could prevent evaporation of water. Especially if the existing soil is not free draining enough. An appropriate soil is an important start.
Also, are you watering your cacti right now? In what conditions are you growing them in?
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

ohugal wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:12 am What type of soil do you have now? It's true about the layer of gravel, but don't put it on the existing soil before you know what type of soil it is. The gravel could prevent evaporation of water. Especially if the existing soil is not free draining enough. An appropriate soil is an important start.
Also, are you watering your cacti right now? In what conditions are you growing them in?
Thank you! I have repotted it yet so it's in the nursery mix still which is pretty decent stuff as it's a cactus nursery in Italy. Yes I was thinking the gravel on top could hold the moisture in.
I think where I went wrong previously was keeping them in plastic pots. I've had a lot of custus die because they never dry quick enough and I only have a north east facing window.
I've moved everything into ceramic pots and so far no issues
With wet soil anymore. I'll just water from the bottom so that the top soil doesn't get soaking wet.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Finding the right growing conditions (type of soil, type of pot, etc...) takes time. Cleistocacti can have a little bit of organic material in their mix, although I have one in a completely mineral soil. Let's see how that goes. Dressing the soil with gravel allows a better water distribution though. Just see you don't plant your succulent 'deeper' than before.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

ohugal wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:58 am Finding the right growing conditions (type of soil, type of pot, etc...) takes time. Cleistocacti can have a little bit of organic material in their mix, although I have one in a completely mineral soil. Let's see how that goes. Dressing the soil with gravel allows a better water distribution though. Just see you don't plant your succulent 'deeper' than before.
Thanks I guess that's it. I've found what works for me now so will stick to it :)

I just got a new cactus the other day but have not found a breathable clay pot yet so had to use a plastic pot unfortunately.
I have buried the calloused end so that it's sloping but I kind of liked how it looked lying flat as shown in the other photo. The roots are already growing sideways towards the ground anyway so wasnt sure if it was worth me planting it at an angle with the bottom half buried.
Image Image Image
mikethecactusguy

Re: Growing advice for cactus

Post by mikethecactusguy »

This is a Creeping Devil. This is how they grow. Buy a pot twice a long as the one you have now. You will need it.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Some grow those in a section of roof gutter.
Spence :mrgreen:
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Thanks! I wasn't show how deep the pot should be but if they work well on drain pipes then I guess a very shallow pot would be fine.
I've also seen photos of these growing from hanging pots where only the base has contact with soil and they look healthy growing that way as well. But I guess letting them crawl along a bed is best as that's how they grow in the wild :)
mikethecactusguy

I bought this from an ebay seller. It was an arm that fell off a larger plant. It took 4 months for it to root and as it started to grow it started to bend. But as you can see, it's decided to from vertical.
20220303_162445.jpg
20220303_162445.jpg (128.17 KiB) Viewed 990 times
20220303_162449.jpg
20220303_162449.jpg (102.23 KiB) Viewed 990 times
20220303_162501.jpg
20220303_162501.jpg (145.71 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Thats a very nice specimen thanks for sharing. Looks like its growing nicely vertically. I wonder if it will start to dip down and crawl along the ground below the pot at some point?
mikethecactusguy

Its a hard decision I have. Do I let it continue this way or pull it and reroot it on its side. There is a guy who displays and wins a ribbon every year at the Cactus Show in Pasadena Ca. His has been growing for years and has grown longer than the planter its in.
On the other hand, it may pup or grow an arm and I can root that.. Time will tell
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines