Shade cloth and seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Lactus

Shade cloth and seedlings

Post by Lactus »

I was planning on sowing some seeds in the next couple of weeks as it starts to warm up and was wondering what % shade cloth to get. I will be making a very small greenhouse with acrylic sides and need shade cloth to keep them from getting burnt. Thanks.
A_G_R

Re: Shade cloth and seedlings

Post by A_G_R »

I would use at least 50%
Alejandro
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

I would skip the greenhouse if I were you. In this climate and zone, with the spring and summer sun, it is VERY easy to cook your seedlings. Just my opinion. :?
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

A_G_R wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:34 pm I would use at least 50%
Ok. Thanks
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:14 pm I would skip the greenhouse if I were you. In this climate and zone, with the spring and summer sun, it is VERY easy to cook your seedlings. Just my opinion. :?
Oh really? What would you do instead?
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

I would invest in a growlight setup if you have space (especially in the winter). Since it is coming to the warmer months, it might be okay to leave them outside (depending on the temperatures in your area). I measured some crazy temperatures in my greenhouse this winter, 135 + degrees. (assuming my thermometer was accurate.) I can't imagine how hot it would be in the summer. If you want to use a greenhouse, I suggest you leave the door partly open, to get the correct temperatures, that aren't too high. Proper shading (the right amount) is necessary to keep your seedlings growing well, without getting cooked or stressed.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:21 pm I would invest in a growlight setup if you have space (especially in the winter). Since it is coming to the warmer months, it might be okay to leave them outside (depending on the temperatures in your area). I measured some crazy temperatures in my greenhouse this winter, 135 + degrees. (assuming my thermometer was accurate.) I can't imagine how hot it would be in the summer. If you want to use a greenhouse, I suggest you leave the door partly open, to get the correct temperatures, that aren't too high. Proper shading (the right amount) is necessary to keep your seedlings growing well, without getting cooked or stressed.
Wow. That's pretty warm. I was just going to make a little germination box with some shade cloth. It doesn't get too warm here in the summer. I'd say average temp is 70℉. But does feel warmer with humidity from the ocean. Maybe I'll do some experiments and leave some inside and leave some outside. I was looking into a little grow light setup for germination/winter, but don't have too much room.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

I live in a hot climate (Brazil) and have been sowing seeds monthly for a few years now. Even in summer I have no problems with the heat (I use the bag method). But I always obey one rule: the box where the bags are kept cannot receive direct sun.
This box is on the bottom shelf, and in summer, the sun doesn't hit it, so I don't use shade cloth. In winter, the sun is more inclined and the sun hits the box (and despite being winter it is very hot), so I use two coats of silver shade cloth (50%). All this is done inside the greenhouse environment, which in fact has the sides always open and ventilated.
I also started sowing in pots placed in trays with water (no bags), under red shade cloth. The seedlings are a little stressed but they develop well. In none of the situations they are cooked by the sun, but I take care that the sun does not reach the bags directly.

You can see pictures of my setup in one of the lastest pages of my thread:
viewtopic.php?t=37654&start=120

Everything is very simple but due to my climate I have more room for errors.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

mmcavall wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:34 pm I live in a hot climate (Brazil) and have been sowing seeds monthly for a few years now. Even in summer I have no problems with the heat (I use the bag method). But I always obey one rule: the box where the bags are kept cannot receive direct sun.
This box is on the bottom shelf, and in summer, the sun doesn't hit it, so I don't use shade cloth. In winter, the sun is more inclined and the sun hits the box (and despite being winter it is very hot), so I use two coats of silver shade cloth (50%). All this is done inside the greenhouse environment, which in fact has the sides always open and ventilated.
I also started sowing in pots placed in trays with water (no bags), under red shade cloth. The seedlings are a little stressed but they develop well. In none of the situations they are cooked by the sun, but I take care that the sun does not reach the bags directly.

You can see pictures of my setup in one of the lastest pages of my thread:
viewtopic.php?t=37654&start=120

Everything is very simple but due to my climate I have more room for errors.
Very nice! Thanks for the information. I was thinking about using the bag method under corrugated plastic and shade cloth. I'll post a picture of my greenhouse when I finish. It's a little greenhouse shelf that I can hang from my fence.
keith

Post by keith »

Double 50% shade cloth for seedlings in direct sunlight and remove the extra layer as they get older .

If they get too much sun they will turn bright red and not enough sunlight they grow very pale . I like a slight touch of red on a mostly deep green color.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

keith wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:03 pm Double 50% shade cloth for seedlings in direct sunlight and remove the extra layer as they get older .

If they get too much sun they will turn bright red and not enough sunlight they grow very pale . I like a slight touch of red on a mostly deep green color.
Ok perfect. Thanks.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

This is 60% shade cloth in Jan. Sun is at 10am in the horizon. Its about 1pm in this picture. I live in Indio Ca. It was around 80°f outside and with 2 fans circulating air it was 95°f in the greenhouse. The 10mm panels are UV treated but the heat still comes through. I started with 40% and burnt plants a year ago. Experiment. I buy on line from the greenhouse mega store. Its reasonable and quality products. I'd personally try 60% first. See how everything settles in and then if need be go 50% or 40%. Better safe than sorry.
20220104_095045-001.jpg
20220104_095045-001.jpg (148.03 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
Doubling up 50% is like 95% shade. I can not see how you could get any germination with shade. You need heat and light . How else do cactus germinate in nature.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:33 am This is 60% shade cloth in Jan. Sun is at 10am in the horizon. Its about 1pm in this picture. I live in Indio Ca. It was around 80°f outside and with 2 fans circulating air it was 95°f in the greenhouse. The 10mm panels are UV treated but the heat still comes through. I started with 40% and burnt plants a year ago. Experiment. I buy on line from the greenhouse mega store. Its reasonable and quality products. I'd personally try 60% first. See how everything settles in and then if need be go 50% or 40%. Better safe than sorry.
20220104_095045-001.jpg
Doubling up 50% is like 95% shade. I can not see how you could get any germination with shade. You need heat and light . How else do cactus germinate in nature.
That's a good point. That greenhouse is a goal of mine. Beautiful. Looks like I'll have to play around with different shade cloth %.