My Collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
FriendshuhM

Re: My Collection

Post by FriendshuhM »

Soooo… I did a thing. It was painful (emotionally). It’s one thing to take cuttings and start new plants.
This was on a whole other level! 😳
Attachments
Minus one spindly 5 foot cactus.
Minus one spindly 5 foot cactus.
62E5170D-1C97-474F-B2EB-FF2AED0166BF.jpeg (169.29 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
Plus 5 little one foot cacti (pending rooting success)!
Plus 5 little one foot cacti (pending rooting success)!
8ECC61E2-51C8-4057-82AE-C47AD2F8916A.jpeg (164.37 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
jerrytheplater

Re: My Collection

Post by jerrytheplater »

FriendshuhM wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:42 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:26 am Evan, the hybrid I was speaking about I mentioned earlier: "A sundew that does not require dormancy and grows nicely indoors under very very bright light is Drosera tokaiensis. It is a natural hybrid and will die if it sees much below freezing. It is a pretty nice looking plant and would grow well in your planter. PM me if you want some seeds once the current seed stalk matures its seeds."

😮 You weren’t kidding ‘very, very bright light’!! I would love some seeds… I’ve never tried sundew, but would be willing to try. Are they tricky to grow from seed, or a pretty ‘willing’ sprouter?
FriendshuhM: I just scatter the seed on the surface of wet Sphagnum peat moss and keep it in bright light. The seeds sprout on their own. You should notice I keep the pots in a tray of DI/rain/low mineral water. The first photo shows seedlings starting out.

PM your address and I'll send you some seeds. I have not checked recently, but when they are ready I'll send you some.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.